• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Allocate 0.002 MB (After Effects CC 2017.1)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to make this as easy to read as possible.

The Issue:

I have had this message show up in the most simple projects. It happens when I am just scrubbing through the timeline, RAM previewing, adjusting an effect, moving a layer...you name it. The only time it doesn't happen is when I am actually rendering/exporting a comp in the Render Queue. When it does pop up, and after you click "OK", it will then let me continue to work and show up again a minute later, or crash After Effects.

I have tried everything that Adobe's site recommends to do provided in this link ( adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem ), and still have this issue. I even empty the disk cache every time I open After Effects, emptying out all 93 GB out of 93 GB, and the error still shows up. There is no way this should fill up with the type of projects that I am working on either.

So with the cache being emptied every time I open AE on a daily basis, and have almost all the memory pooled to AE instead of the other Adobe programs, I'm out of options.

Memory Preferences.png

Our IT team did find this previous forum post with a user having the same issue and found that this was a bug in AE. Unable to allocate 0.002MB of memory  Unfortunately it does not apply to my version.

Computer Specs:

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 10.25.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.43.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.54.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.44.16 AM.png

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

-Camille

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a very well-crafted post!

First thing I would suggest is taking some memory away from After Effects (counter-intuitive, I know). AE uses some processes that are external, so it's usually recommended to set aside 1/4 of your RAM for other applications.

Error messages like this one pop up on these forums a bit. They've happened even in versions prior to CC, but they started being more common after CC 2015. However, the most recent versions (such as the one you're using) have seen fewer of them (as bug fixes for some of the causes have been successful), but not all of the causes are fixed yet. Any info you can share with the AE team via a bug report could be useful in solving whatever is causing your issue.

Hopefully, changing your memory settings will help (also try ticking the "Reduce cache size" option in the memory preferences). If that doesn't work, file that bug report so the AE team can have more info! It's likely caused by a specific hardware or software combination on your system, so, again, as much info as possible, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your recommendations! I will give it a try and keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar problem: 2013 Mac Pro, 32 GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5.

HERE is the ERROR:

After Effects warning: logged 2 errors, please check log. First error was "AE is unable to allocate 0.002 MB of Memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / Row buffer.). For more information, see www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_mem (5027 :: 3)"

At first, I just restarted the computer. But the problem persists. ALL frames are VERY similar, and should require exactly the same RAM, so I don't know how any of them could be causing a problem like this, after rendering 2,353 of 4320 frames (3 minutes at 24 fps).

I attempted to go to the site suggested in the error, but it does not exist (404). It seems someone needs to update the error messages in AE 2017.1 Version 14.1.0.57.

In the About AE screen, it says, "8% used of 32.0 GB 412 Plug-ins" - if only 8% of memory is being used, WHY is AE running out of RAM?

Decreasing AE's Memory does NOT help here so far. I'm still getting PNG+Alpha frame render stoppage, with the same error, over and over and over. But if only 8% of RAM is being used to render, maybe I'll cut AE's memory in half, and see if that works. (I do have my doubts about this, but I'll try anything at this point.)

ANY help that can get me through this VERY simple render process would be GREATLY appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, wonder of wonders, all 4320 frames rendered! -- What I did: (1) Reduced AE's memory down to 20 GB out of 32; (2) Checked the "Reduce cache size when system is low on memory (this will shorten cached preview)".

I don't understand why this worked at all, but I'm glad it did!  :+)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Szalam !! I should have responded much sooner. I apologize! 

Reducing the memory actually worked oddly enough.

Here is what I have it currently set to that has worked out for me for the past few months:

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.05.23 PM.png

I also empty the cache about 1X per week which I think keeps it running smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! I apologize for not responding with my results sooner.

I reduced the memory and have not had a problem since! Here is the current configuration that I am using:

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.05.23 PM.png

I also empty the cache about 1X every 2 weeks or so depending on how large my projects are. Have had no problems 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the double post! Not enough coffee yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for following up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam -

I am having the same issue and I am confused about taking memory away. Do I lower the RAM reserved for other applications? Do I check the box where it says reduce cache size? error 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your screenshot is too small to see anything, but it looks like you have 4 GB of RAM and 0 reserved for other applications. The general rule is that you want 1/4 of your RAM set aside for other applications. Try that first. If that doesn't help, yes; try ticking that box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not your system, it's Adobe. This bug has been around since 2013, they just don't know how to fix it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SiebeJanssen  wrote

they just don't know how to fix it..

Looks like that part of your post isn't true! An Adobe staff member says that there's a strong possibility they will have a fix out for many causes of this issue in the next release!

See this post.

They are soliciting bug reports to help get things nailed down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is likely fixed with todays update!

See the Adobe blog post for more information: A June 2017 Update to After Effects CC Is Now Available | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Please let us know if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines