• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors not matching

Participant ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: when I pick a color it doesn't actually change to that color.

I'm gathering that this is probably some color space RGB/CMYK problem, though all the post reading I've done hasn't really cleared up what the solution is. What I want, is the real bright green shown here, but what is showing is the duller green that the text actually is.

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.40.08 AM.png

This document is going to go to a professional printer that always wants things in CMYK, so I don't want this document to be in RGB. Can I remove the RGB option here?

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 10.45.29 AM.png

Or does something else need to happen so I can have that cool lime green? CS6/Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That saturated lime green only exists in RGB gamut. If you try to print it (or use it in a CMYK InDesign document) it definitely will always come out duller.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to change your ID document color mode to RGB (Edit > Transparency Blend Space > RGB) to capture the bright color for onscreen use, but if you send it to the commercial printer, the color will be duller; clipped down in brightness and saturation. Assigning profiles will not help.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Why is that CMYK, with four colors, seems to get less actual color options than RGB with three?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! I remember thinking that years ago!

You need to read "Real World Color Management"

You will learn a lot!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look for it! In the meantime, is it possible for me to print that brighter lime green (or at least close to it) instead of that duller green?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like, I presume these folks actually got this neon green, but I just eyedroppered it and it looks super dull in my InDesign? https://us.macmillan.com/books/9780374536992

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll look for it! In the meantime, is it possible for me to print that brighter lime green (or at least close to it) instead of that duller green?

No, not with process CMYK inks.

Like, I presume these folks actually got this neon green, but I just eyedroppered it and it looks super dull in my InDesign?

They did not print that green with CMYK inks. If you turn on Overprint Preview in InDesign, you will get a preview of how out-of-gamut RGB colors will convert into your document's assigned CMYK space.

You can do the same in Photoshop via Proof Colors. Here's sRGB on the left and its conversion into default document CMYK on the right

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 4.18.38 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, the book cover you linked to could have been printed with custom spot colors. Spot color printing takes some advanced production knowledge and would likely be more expensive that standard CMYK process printing.

Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 4.54.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah interesting. Would I just ask the printer (they're plenty fancy) about printing Pantone colors in addition to CMYK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't have a complete grip on RGB vs. CMYK vs. Spot, you will have to collaborate with the printer on the document setup.

The cover you linked to would be 4 Pantone spot colors + Black. Your example would probably be CMYK + and extra plate for the yellow/green. In either case the press would have to be capable of printing more than 4 plates.

The color you are showing in your first post is pretty neon—I don't think you'll even get it with a Pantone color. You'll have to pick from a swatch book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no ink (not even a Pantone Neon) close to that green.

Incidentally, the image of the 'Eye of The Sixties' book you linked is actually a CMYK image. Some browsers do a 'dumb' conversion of CMYK images to monitor RGB that makes solid process colours look neon, but here's how it looks in Safari, and probably not too far from how it printed:

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 15.18.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a course on lynda.com about this subject on adobe indesign:

InDesign: Color Management

Its great to know this stuff. but it is also great if you are having trouble sleeping.. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent many years (about 10 years ago) trying to get to grips with this. I ended up getting a consultant in to explain it all to me and my team.

Basically RGB works with light (subtracting light makes a darker image), and CMYK with ink (adding ink makes a darker image). The more light you fire at a computer screen the whiter it gets, and the more ink placed on a page, the darker it gets.

Adding CMYK ink will never get the vibrance you can get by mixing light rays. Thats why your computer screen will always be able to show more vivid colours, as well as muting the colours to simulate CMYK ink but still using RGB light.

One of your questions was as your Printer is professional, you are looking to supply CMYK files. Where as this would have been a safe bet, and needed 15 years ago, modern RIPs (the processing engines attached to Digital Presses, and plate making machines) can accept RGB files. Actually, its better to use RGB as this lets the Printers decide how best to convert to CMYK for their particular press/conditions.

If you are interested, this web site is by the consultant I hired to train my Pre Press department over 10 years ago!

http://www.missinghorsecons.co.uk/

It really is an interesting subject for those wanting to go deeper!

Have fun

Royston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, its better to use RGB as this lets the Printers decide how best to convert to CMYK for their particular press/condition

You would want to be careful about assuming a printer would be able to make a better conversion and would even come close to RGB colors that are this far out-of-gamut. As Danny points out there's not even a Pantone (or Toyo) Solid color that comes close to the OP's RGB color.

This is a downside of the RGB/PDF/X-4 workflow that is currently in favor. Delaying the CMYK conversion to either export or print output would be important for overall color management quality if you don't know the final destination profile or there are multiple destinations, but it wont solve out-of-gamut problems. I think that's why most online printers using automated systems still request or require CMYK—it forces their clients to see the affect of the conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that's why most online printers using automated systems still request or require CMYK—it forces their clients to see the affect of the conversion.

I see what you mean, but isn't that why we have the "Proof Colors" option in InDesign? to show exactly this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right, proof colors would be to a specified destination profile, so it doesn't matter much where the conversion happens. The printer isn't going to have a magic profile that would solve the OP's gamut problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines