• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Overlay mask problem

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a discussion with the same problem earlier this week, i have not solved the problem and am posting again with more pictures.

I have been coloring a black and white photo from WW2, i have been using solid color layer masks and the overlay blending mode.

I do not know how things went bad. Now you can see the layers of paint over the original coloring. Overlay does not seem to be working.

Screenshot (25).png

This is what it should be looking like with overlay(besides the 2 black lines in the lower left.

Screenshot (26).png

This is what it looks like with the bottom pic turned off.

Screenshot (27).png

This is what it looks like now even with overlay on. I can paint over everything.

Any help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

You could also select the Uniform layer mask in the Channels panel, sample the painted area with the Eyedropper tool, and then paint on the mask with this [Grey] color, using a 100% opacity brush. This would match your existing green, and you could save it as a Swatch for later use.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It look like it is working correctly to me.  You are painting with white 100% opacity & fill normal blending on the solid fill olive green layer's layer mask revealing the solid color. The layer above that layer are masked off for the most part so the green of the overlay solid fill layer shows in the composite where you paint white. The overlay blending mode does not change the layers 100% opacity and fill.  Only the black and gray area of the layer mask does that. White will show the green area. There is no selection to constrain where you can paint. you can paint anywhere

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why is it different now? Is there a way to keep the same green that was on the uniforms

Also this problem is on any document i try to use this method on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Like JJMack I am not seeing the problem in your screenshots

If your previous masked layers are showing as semi-transparent when the layer below is removed then  either the layer opacity has been turned down or the brush opacity was turned down whilst painting. Painting with a low opacity brush on a mask results in the mask being painted with grey not white - allowing the image to be semi-transparent.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lower the brush opacity make is very low and build up the white in the mask after painting black. Or you could add a empty layer and paint with the color you want in that layer and blend it into the image layer.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also select the Uniform layer mask in the Channels panel, sample the painted area with the Eyedropper tool, and then paint on the mask with this [Grey] color, using a 100% opacity brush. This would match your existing green, and you could save it as a Swatch for later use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines