• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign packaging after discontinuing subscription

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got rid of my personal creative cloud subscription a few months ago. I forgot to package my indesign document so that I could continue working on the file on my work computer. If only I could open it just one more time to package it quick and get all the links on my personal laptop to a flash drive without having to rebuy the software. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is packaging it going to allow you to work on it without a subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe download the 7-day trial version on to your home computer (assuming you've never had the trial on there before). But as Bob states ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can, but only with a network connection to your work computer. Without the network connection, or as mentioned above, the trial subscription option, you're not going to be able to package the job on your computer.

The InDesign document(s) are work-related, right? Then I recommend connecting your personal system to the work network. If you're in a large organization, contact your IT folks and explain your situation. If you're in a smaller organization, or one which has provisions for connecting remote workers to "hot desk" network connections, hopefully it'll be as easy as plugging a network cable into your personal system and booting it up.

1) Open InDesign on your work system.

2) Navigate your way to the relevant InDesign document(s) on your personal system.

3) Package the InDesign document to your desired local/network location at work.

Lather/Rinse/Repeat until you package all the InDesign documents you want to move over to the company. There will be redundancies — e.g. if you package 50 InDesign files using the company's logo, you'll have 50 copies of the company logo. Same with fonts and other common elements used in the documents. Deal with that. You want intrinsic package folders which contain everything used to build the associated InDesign document(s). Take no shortcuts, and you'll have no problems.

Like I always tell my clients when I re-ship information to them: "I'd rather you have two of 'em than none of 'em."

Good luck with your efforts,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same Adobe ID and password that allows you to use the work computer will also work when signing in to your personal computer.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I'd do that without company approval ...

It's kinda presumptuous to use a company-assigned work account without clearing it with said company. There are a ton of issues involved with keying your work Adobe ID -- and subscription, and hardware -- to your personal equipment. Not the least of which could be that two machines may already be assigned to the company ID. And, ahem, appropriating one of those machine IDs for yourself could technically be considered services theft by said company.

Your Mileage May Vary -- and you should check that out before trying and end run with company resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No contention here; just kicking this around...

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Randy+Hagan  wrote

...trying an end run with company resources.

I find it Interesting that you'd characterize it that way, when the intent of the Adobe licensing model, as I understand it, is that a person (an Adobe ID) could have any number of CC installations in multiple locations, on various hardware, with any 2 of them activated for non-concurrent use at any one time.

So while I surely understand the spirit of your post, I'm not sure I get the "two machines already assigned," or the user-misappropriation scenarios, which, in my interpretation at least, cast the company as doing an end run with the Adobe license more so than the user doing what's allowed under the license to advance company business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if this is an enterprise account, the licensing is completely different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean to cast no aspersions.

As I said in my response, if the original poster checks with the IT folks and they say it's OK, then it's cool to go for it.

But to try to do that without informing the company could cause a number of complications. And depending on said company's predispositions, possibly some really ugly ones.

I've worked with some companies who would have no problems with lending a license for work-related functions to an employee/contractor at home. I've also worked with some that have filed that kind of information away as a firing offense, and worse. And based on the information we have, which does not include what kinds of licensing the original poster's company has, I don't think it's imprudent to exercise caution when advising them to just grab a company's software for a while.

It may be no issue at all. But I'd feel horrible if I told someone else to do that and they got in trouble for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is just technical advice on InDesign; not a lesson in ethics!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^Right.

Launch the Creative Cloud app and sign in using the Adobe ID associated with your work subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines