• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Annoying Box Won't Go Away, InDesign won't quit, All Preferences Being reset.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I love InDesign, but lately it keeps crashing over and over; or if you try to quit the program, it won't quit until you Force Quit. I turned on the program after rebooting my computer and I can't get rid of this annoying box that just won't go away:

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 9.59.59 AM.png

It is in the upper right corner - it is greyed out with a white border and it gets in the ways of my panels. I tried for help on Chat Support but I get a blank page where I am unable to send a message. I'll insert my issues, submit then it goes to "Live Chat" but it is just a greyed out button and no chat at all, no support from Adobe. I'm hoping someone in the community has an idea of how to get rid of this annoying box.

Also, I have made document presents for templates that we use where I work all the time (i.e. an 8.5" x 5.5" with .125" bleed, non facing pages because we use this all the time for postcards that we design. This keeps disappearing when I restart the program.

Also, When I export a PDF I like to View the PDF after I export it because we will make our proof file from our print file using Acrobat, however, this also doesn't get saved. It is super annoying.

The program was uninstalled and reinstalled by my IT Manager at work, but we still can't get it to stop freezing up and having to be force quit. Every time it is force quit, all the preset documents and other settings are not saved.

Please help me get rid of this annoying box in the corner.

Thanks Adobe members - I have more faith you will help me out than Adobe's actual support.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you told us exactly what version of InDesign you're running. It's in InDesign CC > About InDesign.

For most people, it you just quit InDesign and reopen it, the box will no longer be there.

As to the other problems, have you tried restoring your InDesign preferences? Here's how:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2017.1 Release

12.1.0.56 build

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 11.05.02 AM.png

Thanks Steve. I am going to quit InDesign right now and try the steps in that link you sent over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can read my reply and workaround regarding the same issue on this threadAnnoying box in upper right corner of InDesign screen

The box usually comes like this, when two documents are opened together.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

regarding your PDF issue, just make sure that the "view PDF after exporting" is chosen when you export for PDFScreen Shot 2017-08-08 at 4.34.50 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, the issue isn't that check box, just that it constantly gets "unchecked" everytime I restart InDesign. It's no big deal to check it again, but so many times I export my PDF and forget and sit there waiting for it to pop up in Acrobat. I thought there was a way to set your preferences in Creative Cloud that will keep them no matter if the program updates? Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines