8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2017 3:03 PM by Kenn Doyle

Adjusting Capture Date/Time

RzzB Level 1

Using Lightroom/Photoshop CC on Windows 7.

I have 37,813 jpegs, taken for a time lapse every 15 secs over a 4 day period, that unfortunately have the wrong date.

First image has a date of 14/01/2012 15:00. It should have been 18/04/2016 07:00. That's incorrect by exactly 37336 hours.

Anyone have any idea of how to batch fix all of these dates? I have spent ages looking at a number of tools but am struggling to find a solution.

Thanks,

Roy

• 1. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

The Metadata > Edit Capture Time can shift the capture date/time of all of the selected photos by the same amount.   See the help for details on how to do that: Metadata basics and actions in Lightroom

• 2. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time
            RzzB Level 1

Hmm - Yes, but I cant see how to shift it by 37,336 hours - that method only seem to adjust the time +/- 24 hours.

Roy

• 3. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time

See the note under step 3 of the help:

If more than one photo is selected in the Grid view, Lightroom changes the capture time for the active photo by the specified adjustment. (The active photo is previewed in the Edit Capture Time dialog box.) Other photos in the selection are adjusted by the same amount of time. If more than one photo is selected in the Filmstrip in Loupe, Compare, or Survey view, the capture time is changed only on the active photo.

• 4. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time
                RzzB Level 1

John, Thanks for your help with this.

I'm obviously missing something.

Exactly how do I specify a time amount of 37,336 hours?

Thanks,

Roy

• 5. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time

1. Select all the images, making sure the first image is "most selected" (the one with 14/01/2012 15:00). 

2. Do Metadata > Edit Capture Time. 

3. Select Adjust To A Specified Date And Time.

4. In Correct Time, enter the desired date/time: 18/04/2016 07:00. 

5. Click Change All.

The first picture will be adjusted by the number of hours between the correct time and most-selected photo's current time. All the other photos will be adjusted by the same amount of time.

Untitled.png

• 6. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time
                    RzzB Level 1

Oh oh - I see....

Many thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time

Great, glad you got it figured out.

• 8. Re: Adjusting Capture Date/Time
                        Kenn Doyle

Ive used this method many times before because though my cameras are all synced, there can be 1 or two other photographers working with me and I can count on there camera's clocks never being even close to the real time. Most times if I remember while on location I'll have us take shots of each other simultaneously as a time base to correct all the other images.

Problem is, its no longer working?! I'll select all the images that need adjustment and "Most Select" the datum image, set "Adjust to a specified date and time" I notice at the top of the action window, where your screen shot says "Modify the capture time stored in the selected photos" mine still says its changing this one "Most Selected" Images. and when it runs thats all thats done. Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 6.01.29 PM.png

I double checked and there are 418 images selected and the images shown in the dialog box is the Most Selected.

Am I just getting old and missing something?