• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you combine one CHM product help and page level help?

Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. For years at another job, the help I created was for each page/form. Now, at my new company, we do not have page/form level help. Instead, I deliver one .chm file for each product.

Is there anyway to combine them? My boss was wondering if that could work for a future release with some new and more complex functionality. For instance, if one particular form was very complicated, could I include a page-level help file (.html I presume) just for that form (or even a few forms)? Or would I have to do something to the entire project and make all non-conceptual topics be called from a file name (that Develkopment links in) for each form?

Any wisdom would be appreciated. I have never been posed with the notion of combining these two types of deliverables and was curious. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Style Council.

I think you not asking whether your product CHMs can have form level help. Is this right? If so, yes you can in exactly the same way as you did at your previous company. Your RH topic would document the form and the mapid placed against it would be used to link to it from the application.

BTW I personally would not advise a call for multiple forms. It can be done but the end user experience could be confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Style Council,

I'm not sure I precisely understand your predicament, but it seems that what you are looking for is called "context sensitve help." So search for that term in the RoboHelp help file to get started. The application can then call an individual page from the .chm file, selecting the page related to where it is called from.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp