Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe's View on GIMP

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there to everyone.

I want to ask simple, yet a very important question for me.
I'm a happy adobe customer by the way. Although i highly disagree with some of the company's decisions (*cough* *cough*... AdobeFlash and linux.. *cough* *cough*) however i do belive that photoshop DOES deserve its glory and it IS the very best one.. the king.

I want to ask the TEAM of Adobe what is their VIEW on Gimp.
Do you consider this to be a "copy" of photoshop?
Does photoshop see it in any case as a breach of their patents?

Or do you see it as nice independent graphic program that is open-source and yes -- although free it obviously lacks all the premium features and UI of the paid kings like photoshop.

What is your opinion on the matter Adobe?

I searched the google but i was unable to find anything concrete on the subject.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Dimitar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a User forum not the place to ask Adobe questions.  Adobe does not publicly comment of other's software as far as I know.  You could ask on Adobe's feedback site.  However I would not expect any offical comment from Adobe on such a subject.  Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite certain no Adobe staff would offer a public opinion in a legal matter. Nor are they likely to discuss the merits or competitive ststud of competing products. Such matters are sensitive and publicly listed companies have limitations on freedom of discussion outside their stockholder channels too. Simply, you ask too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to kindly disagree about this guys. You see:

First I had an ADOBE chat support agent tell me that THIS is the place to ask.

Second i have to make a disclaimer - THIS IS NOT INTENDED to be an OFFICIAL answer/statement and my question DOES NOT hold any legal or official weight for its answer.

By asking my question and thread here i hereby relieve Adobe from all and any legal attachments or official formalities regarding my inquiry.

I only want to know their OPINION and VIEW on the matter, NOT their policy on the matter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt white you'll get an official (or unofficial) comment from an Adobe spokesperson on this matter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mitizaro  wrote

I only want to know their OPINION and VIEW on the matter, NOT their policy on the matter!

How about the standard Steve Jobs answer "Nobody want that!"

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack What does that mean actually?
I was off the grid during the history of the first four Iphones by the way..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I means that I miss Steve Jobs.  I loved to view  his presentations  they made my day.  He was as good as P.T. Barnum and he is gone too.  The show must go on... Who do we have today "Trump" pleas forgive me if I'm not  impressed.   Here is a  PT quote:

“Nobody ever lost a dollar by underestimating the taste of the American public.”

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should, by the way, make it absolutely clear that I do not work for Adobe and do not know anything whatever about their views on the subject raised. It is because of this that I am free to comment. I am also not a lawyer and nothing I said should be taken as legal advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i actually think it would be okay for some admin or mod to do so. I've seen adobe comment on such occasions and i do believe they're good enough people to care from time to time (helloooooooooo)

Also i was actually hoping if some user here knows if they HAVE already spoke on the matter... although i did a deep google search, i believe there are far more informed and smart people here than me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very inspired by his character (and of Bill Gates as well) and i must say that since he's gone the apple went rotten (quite the pun).

However i still do not get the connection from either this post or the one before about what i asked.

I do believe Steve went way to early, we need him right now in this age of technology, progress,, A.I., even better and faster productions.
But it is what it is. We could view it as that he did his job way to splendid already...

BUT I would appreciate if someone really dug me up on the question of Adobe and Gimp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who do you want? Shantanu Narayen he is just trying to use Steve's old wardrobe but he can not fill his shoes.   What would anyone's view do for you?   My view is Photoshop is better for I have invested a lot in Photoshop.  Adobe has a lot invested in Photoshop.  Gimp is not in my Picture Gimp has been around for the longest time.   Adobe has never commented on it as far as  I know and I do not think they ever will. Why would they? There is no real need too.

I never needed Steve but I enjoyed him.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Gimp is just one of many to offer raster image software (none compete with Photoshop), they all have their up & down virtues.

People pick the one they feel good for the task.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but i'm still curious.

Example -- Gates and Jobs COULD've said about products of one another's companies that were highly... unethical... stolen... wrong... a copy..
But instead they actually choose to welcome the competition AND the whole influence of one another.
They actually supported each other in the "back-end".

On the other hand there are companies who have really spent years developing something and RIGHTFULLY hunt down thieves, copy-cats and overall competition that STEALS their ideas... the same ones that the company fought, developed and stood for so long.

So i was wondering if Adobe sees GIMP as a lower-class yet proper alternative OR does she treat it as some user-mock-up type of lame excuse to try and steal their ideas under the GNU license.

Trust me, the reason why i want to know is very strong and important one, and has absolutely 0% connection to any legal/official position here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@postrophe
Yes, and i do not argue about the difference of usability. To me photoshop will always be a king, i grew with it using the CS6 & 7 versions and of lately i started buying myself the CC monthly version out of respect towards Adobe (although i f-king hate your Linux policy, people!! Buuut karma hits you back on that front.)

However dont you think that GIMP is just a knock-off ripp-off of photoshop for free?
Doesnt ADOBE see it that way?
Do they condemn it?
Or are they okay with it?
Or do they welcome it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should help: Photoshop vs Gimp

Note that Chris Cox was the senior programmer for Adobe Photoshop since the early days...so that as close as you will get to an inside opinion.

Chris Cox on Linux: PhotoShop For Linux ?

That is all.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I used "ImagePro" ancestor of Photoshop in the late 80's in a special lab of my university (I'm a Mac guy since then), that was cool. I'v seen it's evolution since then.

It became a bit bloated over the years with all the plug's they added to it.

I'm not sure if "AFFINITY PHOTO" borrowed codes elsewhere, but they only worked at it since 5 years.

Technology evolve faster that one might thing, it's implementation is the hard part, it can be better starting on a fresh state.

As "JJ" says, PS need a good clean up.

Just my 2¢

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7​ I'm very grateful for you digging up that for me.

Yet still i only see a comparison of quality -- that is totally NOT what interests me.

From what i imagine given the posts though - Adobe doesn't care about gimp one bit.
But that is only a judgement on my part.
I'm 100000% sure they HAVE a very developed opinion on the matter.

I was in charge of a business not long ago myself. And since i was the main active manager/organizer/everything there i can tell you this: If someone regardless be it a client or outside person asks me what i think about some of our competiton -- i will reply very respectfully and as short as possible. And i will avoid any qualifications or judgements on my part.
HOWEVER if they really inquire about it in a friendly chat -- man i can speak A LOT about the competition. Its not the best thing to do online publicaly for a magazine, sure -- but trust me: Anyone actively involved in business KNOWS its surrounding players SO F*CKING well they can write an ESSAY on the matter.
Of course the bigger the company the stricker the Terms and Conditions / EULA on these parts..

...but i was sincerely hoping for just a friendly comment/clarification, not a real statement, you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing is I doubt Adobe staff would be authorized to comment.

You  may want to direct your question at the PR department.

Best

.mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do i do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Whilst anyone on this forum can offer a personal opinion, only those with the red "Staff" badge work for Adobe and I doubt they would comment.

Why not try here:

About Adobe | Adobe

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to try here.

Press contacts | Adobe Newsroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you {Profanity removed] with me? Trevor.Dennis if i was a mod i would actually give you a warning for ban right now.

I'm very real, you can find me on my facebook [Link removed]

I dare you be a man repeat those words in my face!

I never imagined such insolence in these forums i have high respect for Adobe Designer community as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have removed the profanity from your post twice now - locked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines