• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I increase the "recently opened list" in LRCC to more than the default ?

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to increase the recently opened list of catalogues in LRCC.  I have looked in Edit/Preferences and not found where I can do this.  I know it is possible to do in Photoshop and would like to be able to do so in LR.  Have I missed something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand your question.

The "Recently Opened List" shows you the Catalogs that Lightroom can find in your computer.

Most Lr users only ever have one catalog.

Why do you expect to see more?

(If you do have multiple Catalogs then you will get a list of those that are currently accessible to Lightroom.  This "Recent" list is not for photos. Lr does not 'open' photos, it is a database program that 'opens' Catalogs.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to File/Open Recent, LR shows 15 catalogues in the list.  I'd like it to show 20.   I'm not trying to open multiples at once; I just don't want to have to go through the file tree when I move from one to the other.  I'm working on presentations and books, so I'm choosing photos from a number of different catalogues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So- there is a limit.!!  (15?)

You must be a 'pro' shooter with a catalog for each job. I do not see a reason for so many otherwise. I am with DJ_Paige here "a good argument for as few as possible"

A workaround- Create shortcuts to all catalogs in one folder of the operating system (Windows, Mac?), have the folder easily accessible (Desktop?), Close the working Lightroom and restart another catalog by double-clicking a shortcut link in the folder. This will give you 'un-limited' number of shortcuts in the one folder.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  That's a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do a lot of travel photography and have a catalogue for each major trip so I can go directly to Eastern Europe, Antarctica, China, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what keywords and/or collections are for.  You can also just use folders for major divisions of photos like your countries but keywords/collection are way more flexible.   If your multiple catalog system works for you that great but I don't think Adobe will make the recent list longer as probably most users only have  one or a few catalogs.  I have three,  My Catalog,  a friends catalog and a test catalog to test forum questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of you for explaining how you organize your photos.  I did read the article that wobertc sent a link to  - thank you.  Going through the tree of folders and collections was what I was trying to avoid.  I have a number of catalogues that are on separate hard drives and are stored with the original raw files, so I don't think one catalogue will work for me, but I appreciate the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

separate hard drives

This is a perfect reason to just have one catalog! 

If an external drive (with original raw photos) is not connected- your 'one' working catalog will still show all the thumbnails of ALL your photos where you can search and gather to a Collection for a book or project, without having to open multiple catalogs. You will only need to plug in a drive when you need access to the originals.

My comments are intended to be helpful, and never critical of your choice of workflow. All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mapatl  wrote

, so I'm choosing photos from a number of different catalogues. 

This is probably the best reason not to have more than one catalog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, you can't increase the size of the list. A good argument for having as few catalogs as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Paige, so- there is a limit?

I have never had more than 3 catalogs so have never seen it limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should I have so few catalogues?  I've got tens of thousands of photos.  I have collections within the catalogues, but don't really understand why I should limit the # of catalogues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

even 50,000 photos counts as a small catalog… 4 million is big!

A quote from Victoria Bampton in her blog article on Catalogs-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-multiple-catalogs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I can go directly to Eastern Europe,.

and all this can be handled in the one catalog by using Keywords and Collections- easily!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines