• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Data Merge with Multiple Master Pages

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an InDesign document for a tear away calendar that has 6 master pages. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Sat & Sun on one.  I need to add quotes to each page. Monday's master page links down to the other master pages so I placed a text box on Monday's page, added my 2 data points, and it automatically added to the other days of the week. When I hit create it just repeated the same first row of text in each box in my pages pallet. How do I get it to recognize multiple rows from my excel file. Do I need to un-link all of the text boxes from the masters?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merge fields belong on the regular page. It would help to see a screen shot of both the regular page a master page. I cannot tell from your description if you even need to do a merge.

ID's native mail merge has no facility to choose a master page based upon a condition. There is a plug-in that can do this from Em Software (InData, I am using the QXP version below). I use it all the time for merging instead of ID's simplistic merging capabilities.

I suspect master page selection could be scripted. But I ain't smart enough.

The below is from a sample file I prepared for someone else. The name tags are a single 4" x 3" page size with bleed. When the company name changes, it applied a new master page (the difference is the color). The screen shot is from after I imposed it.

capture-001322.png

I've used this facility on real jobs, though, and it works well.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Below are my screen shots. There are 300+ pages here which all get different text. Am I understanding if I place that text box on the actual pages vs the master this will work?

1. Pages

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 7.09.11 AM.png

2. First Master Page

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 7.12.32 AM.png

3. First Page in Layout

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 7.12.12 AM.png

4. Excel doc set up (This is just a test sample, there are over 300 different verses)

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 7.10.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Personally I would tackle this with a Javascript. I am not too familiar with the Data Merge tool in InDesign as i have always built a script for my own requirements for anything like this.

It should be a fairly straight forward script. Do you have scripting knowledge?

If this is possible with Data Merge, then hopefully someone can help you. If not, if you send me the InDesign File I can see if I can assist with a script.

Cheers

Roy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you post this in the Scripting forum, you should get some help.

Post some screenshots if you can too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines