• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create the correct size PSD to start an image grid with.

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's a question that should be easy to answer, I'm creating a PSD with multiple layers, in each layer is a single photograph, the finished product a simple image grid with 4, 6 or maybe 9 squares.

My first PSD was created as a 900px by 900px with the individual layers all set at 300px by 300px, it all worked fine except the final finished product was only about 7 or 8megs.

My next try, a blank PSD set at 1500 by 1500 with 4 images in individual layers, same problem, the final image is way too small for printing, the individual images are each imported into their layers as 91megs files, so the question is, should I create the original blank new document PSD as something like 5000 by 5000 to end up with a large enough file for printing, or am I missing something.

Thanks for any help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

In the New file dialog, enter the physical dimensions (inches or cm) and the required ppi for printing, and Photoshop will do the math for you and create a file with the correct pixel dimensions.

The forumula is Pixel dimensions divided by ppi = Dimensions in inches

For instance 3000 (pixels) : 300 (ppi) = 10 (inches)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the New file dialog, enter the physical dimensions (inches or cm) and the required ppi for printing, and Photoshop will do the math for you and create a file with the correct pixel dimensions.

The forumula is Pixel dimensions divided by ppi = Dimensions in inches

For instance 3000 (pixels) : 300 (ppi) = 10 (inches)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Per,  think that will work for me now, cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resolution of your images should be around 300 PPI.

You may (or may not, depending on what you're after) need to consider the size of paper you'll be printing on.

So, if you are printing on say a 10" x 8" sheet and you want say a 1/4" margin around four pictures (2 x2 in this example).

You set your document to 300 x 10" = 3000px x 8" x 300 = 2400px.

Three margins 75px for the two outer and 76px for the centre minus 2400 leaves 2016px for the image width divided by two means the images should be 1087px wide each.

I'll leave you to calculate the depth!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Derek, excellent advice, I'll give those instructions a go and see how it pans out for me.

Ross

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines