Hi guys,

I'd love some advice as of how to achieve the type of look in this photo:

IMG_9208.JPG

Thank you in advance!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Most colour tone effects can be achieved in either the HSL or the Split Toning panels (or even changing White Balance).

In the HSL panel you can  de-saturate colours selectively, which can give the toned look. In your pic sample- a predominance of the yellows and browns. The adjustment Brush can also de-saturate 'locally' on an image.

When you achieve a 'look' you like you can make your own Preset to repeat the effect easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to describe the look you are trying to achieve.

The most notable thing here is the out-of-focus background, which will require a lens with a wide aperture (small f number).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, I actually mean the colors of the photo! I see this type of look being applied to a lot of photos lately and I think it's really interesting and was wondering how people achieve it. I don't think it's a preset!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most colour tone effects can be achieved in either the HSL or the Split Toning panels (or even changing White Balance).

In the HSL panel you can  de-saturate colours selectively, which can give the toned look. In your pic sample- a predominance of the yellows and browns. The adjustment Brush can also de-saturate 'locally' on an image.

When you achieve a 'look' you like you can make your own Preset to repeat the effect easily.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Share one of your images that you would like this look on. We can share the settings with you... basically it looks like the highlights have been completely flattened and the shadows have been opened. It's a bit flat contrast wise and doesn't have clean blacks or whites. It likely has a gradient filter on as well. It doesn't really pop and depending on how it's being used would hit the cutting floor of professional magazine editors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for all your responses! Here's a photo that I would like to try this look on (not a professional photo or anything, just to test it out )

IMG_2615.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few suggestions-

ScreenShot160.jpg ScreenShot161.jpg ScreenShot159.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While this is Ps, all of the controls and settings are available in Lr. The first screen show the placement and setting of the gradient filter. The second screen shot shows all of the controls accessible in the Basic panel in the Develop module of Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines