• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I preserve True Black when saving as CMYK?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to set up my image files as CMYK to get them ready for offset printing but no matter what I do, the file refuses to save the blacks as C:0 M:0 Y:0 K:100. What can I do to preserve these blacks once I save?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First the files should be created as CMYK or convert to CMYK (Image > Mode > CMYK) -- Before creating your artwork.

The standard Black swatch in the Swatches panel is not 100% K. If you've chosen black from the Swatches panel and you click on the Foreground color swatch in the Tools panel, you will see that it has CMYK values:

Change the CMY to zero and the K to 100%. For convenience, you can add the true black swatch to the Swatches panel.

I drew the top shape with the standard black and the bottom shape with the pure black. You can see the difference in the Channels panel where the bottom shape appears only in the K channel:

If you've already drawn your artwork and don't want to redraw, target each of the CMY channels individually and delete the art from those channels so that it only shows in the K channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you saving as PSD or PDF?

If saving as PDF, make sure there is no color conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines