Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I Got A Copyright Strike. HELP

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All.

So I was browsing through youtube and found that many people made tutorials on how to get "____" for free and I also saw a lot of tutorials on how to get photoshop and after effects for free.

So I decided to make a tutorial too on how to get adobe after effects for free since I did have the install file on my computer.

Last night, I uploaded the tutorial. Around 3-4 hrs ago, I got a notification saying that my video had been taken down and I got a "Copyright" Strike.

I was wondering, how come I am the only one who got a strike for uploading a tutorial? How come no other channel got a strike for making a tutorial on how to get ae for free?

In addition, I emailed the adobe guy who striked my video (hasnt responded yet) asking if he could take the strike back.

So, I was wondering, is there any way that I can have the strike retracted because I really wanna grow my channel and make it a source of income cuz I am in univeristy and fees cost alot but with that strike, I cant do anything.

The reason I am posting here is because I thought that one of the employees or someone could possibly retract the strike?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Wait for the reply. Chances are he's busy with a lot of things. You'll have to discuss that with him. I'm not in the Adobe legal department and have no say and of course can't promise anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Support forum does not resolve YouTube copyright strikes. You must go to YouTube and find the claimant's email and to reach out to responsible Adobe team.

Every copyright strike has an e-mail address and all relevant contact details attached to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I mentioned, I already emailed the guy but he didn't respond yet. Do you think he will retract the strike?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MasterContent  wrote

Like I mentioned, I already emailed the guy but he didn't respond yet. Do you think he will retract the strike?

Not likely. If your other vids offer workarounds on paid software, it's best to remove them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I removed them. Any chance that he will retract now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait for the reply. Chances are he's busy with a lot of things. You'll have to discuss that with him. I'm not in the Adobe legal department and have no say and of course can't promise anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Me, too. Just a few second to me then Take down my video.
Video url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGsYIO7af5I
Please remove your Copyright Strike. I will delete it myself if I made this wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the name of your Youtube channel?   I'd like to encourage some of my friends to visit it.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still dont understand why it was only my video that got striked. MANY people make videos on how to get adobe products for free but they don't get striked. Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got caught.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean?

If i search up how to get ae cc 2017 for free, many results come up. How come those other people dont get striked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copyright infringement can involve a ton of things. If you steal some of my work, even though I do not work for Adobe and I catch you I Ill first send you a notice of infringement and an order to desist and remove, if you continue to use my work without compensating me for the privilege I will then file a lawsuit against you seeking the maximum damages possible. If you slander me or infer any criminal behavior on my part using my material I can sue you for punitive damages and they can be as big as I want them to be. You are not free to use anything you find on the internet for your own use unless it falls into the very narrow fair use parameters. If you are in the habit of stealing someone else work you better learn all you can about "fair use" to keep yourself out of trouble. Your copyright strike could have come from music, artwork or even a technique that you copied. Adobe probably would not file a copyright strike but they may take other actions because you advocate stealing their product. It's no different than walking into a store and walking out with merchandise without paying. Come to think of it stealing software is actually quite a bit different, you can be charged with a felony for stealing software.

You are not free to advocate and to teach others how to pirate software. That is criminal behavior and you are subject to a civil fine of up to $150,000 and a criminal fine of up to $250,000 and up to five years in prison for each offense. Sure, a lot of people don't get caught but a lot of people do. You have admitted your crime so on a public forum. If the Adobe legal department decides to prosecute you just lost your case and you will pay a fine or worse. I have a good friend that is a detective with the Seattle Police Department. He said we catch the stupid and the unlucky. You have been both stupid and unlucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, I hope you don't mind me asking, but you start with a "cease and desist". A company called Getty Images would search the web for their images and whoever had them without license, they would send a "demand letter" a C&D followed by a charge of a few thousand dollars for using the images.

Some caught up in that were not out and out thieves and were willing to take down the images, but Getty wanted "compensation". One had an overseas web designer use Getty images and she got notified and billed.

I don't hear much about this anymore, but assessing penalties without warning did seem a bit dodgy and perhaps illegal.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at all illegal to send a demand for payment for copyright infringement along with a cease and desist. Just as it is not at all unreasonable to arrest someone for walking out of a store without paying for the 501's they have stuffed under their shirt.

As I understand copyright law if you are violated you deserve and can demand compensation and that's the end of the argument unless they can prove fair use. Fair use is pretty hard to prove if you don't have a published fair use policy. It's just not worth it to me to demand payment first. I found out in the few times that I have been violated, that most folks are perfectly willing to take down my work or pay if I approach it with a firm but reasonable request for removing the material from their product but give them the option to negotiate a license for the work. I only had one instance in 40 plus years of trying to protect my work where someone refused until they ended up with a subpoena to appear and a lien on their property when they failed to appear in court. They still have not paid but I still hold a lien on their home. We will see what happens if they ever try and sell. It's been about 20 years and I'm charging them 12% interest.

BTW, my Father-in-law has a travel business and we used a photo that he took on his website. A couple of years later a lawyer for the new owners of the lodge in the photo sent him a demand letter requiring him to take down the photo and demanding payment. We send back a copy of a letter the previous owner had sent thanking him for the gift of the amazing print he had sent him of his lodge and asking permission to use the photo in his advertising. We also sent a copy of the signed licensing agreement that was sent to the lodge. The response when I talked to the attorney about a week later resembled something you might have heard Homer Simpson say, but I won't quote Homer because it may be copyrighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL......    This is my favorite thread ever.   

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So....... I guess i got the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Me, too. Just a few second to me then Take down my video.
Video url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGsYIO7af5I
Please remove your Copyright Strike. I will delete it myself if I made this wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want you to retract it from me then I go to delete it myself. Please
kindly retract it. I promise you to delete it.

I am a man of my word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are volunteer technical help for Photoshop, not legal matters such as copyright strikes involving YouTube.

YouTube has the information you need:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2814000?hl=en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Enough information has been provided, yet some people don't read it and still ask us to resolve copyright strikes. It's time to lock the thread.

Again: You work with YouTube, not the Adobe forums to settle your strike.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2814000?hl=en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines