Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Card Recommendation Needed

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all.

After posting about artifacts appearing in my videos rendered from Premiere and After Effects (see Artifacts in the playback window and exports ), it seems like the issue popped up again. I contacted both NVIDIA support and Adobe support via chat and essentially one was pointing the finger at the other and giving me a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My situation is that I need a graphics card for my Windows 10 PC that will run an Oculus Rift and be good for VR gaming--because that's the line of work I'm in--AND run Adobe CC video apps like Premiere and After Effects.

NVIDIA says that I would need a Quadro card to use with Adobe apps, but that I'd need GTX 10XX for VR gaming. Adobe says they're right and told me to turn off GPU-rendering and pointed me to the system requirements (Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements).

Looking at those system requirements and looking at the system requirements for Oculus Rift (Help Center)​ , there's essentially *no* overlap between the two! (The Adobe list has a lot of older cards that are no longer for sale.)

Soooo, what am I supposed to do? Suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What CPU do you have?  And forget Quadro that just is the party line that nVidia and Adobe have agreed to for Premiere Pro.  Your GTX 1080 is a great card maybe some of those glitches are power supply related.  What power supply rating do you have and  fhe make and model?  Are the artifacts identical in two identical outputs or is it a random happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Bill.

My power supply is a "NZXT - HALE82 V2 700W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply." You can actually see the whole build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GDRVD8

The glitches appear to be random yet consistent. Meaning when I'm not scrubbing, they'll show up in four-dot formations. But when I am scrubbing, they turn to two vertical dots that look like they're streaking down the frame.

In answer to your question, yes, if I render the same sequence twice in a row, the glitches appear in different spots. Not consistent at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you exhaust all other solutions, I would get yourself a good gold rated power supply.   That unit does not have great reviews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. How can I check that that is the issue? I'm really a Mac guy so all this component/drivers trickery is kind of foreign to me. I've been doing a lot of Googling and haven't quite understood the issue. Meaning, do you think the PSU is failing? Or is it not strong enough? Thanks a lot for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The big power hungry GTX 1080 when actually used may cause transients on the power bus thus causing the problem.   We always suggest Gold rated power supplies.for new builds.  If you are not hardware oriented you probably will have to take it to a PC seller/service center.  I assume you did not build it yourself.  The instrumentation required to diagnose this is actually happening is extremely expensive and I doubt in any PC dealers even have such capability.  Most dealers would just try a new better power supply.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines