Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

need checkpoint

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

I am ujil. I need a check point in Photoshop or give a feature to save the history.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

As Derek indicated your question seems unclear.

As for

save the history

that is not possible in Photoshop currently and may never be.

Depending on what you actually mean as work-arounds you could

• create a log (Photoshop > Preferences > History Log) to get a text record of what you did or

• use non-destructive practices (Layers, Adjustment Layers, Smart Objects, …) and Layer Comps to »conserve« and manage image editing stages.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your question is not clear. Please rewrite it with more explanation and give version number of Photoshop and OS details,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Derek indicated your question seems unclear.

As for

save the history

that is not possible in Photoshop currently and may never be.

Depending on what you actually mean as work-arounds you could

• create a log (Photoshop > Preferences > History Log) to get a text record of what you did or

• use non-destructive practices (Layers, Adjustment Layers, Smart Objects, …) and Layer Comps to »conserve« and manage image editing stages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop's history is session based which means when you close the file the history is gone. (though you can save a history log). You can also create a new document from the current history state in Photoshop. Lightroom keeps the history until you clear it. (if its nondestructive build in Photoshop you need just use adjustment layers & smart objects as mentioned or use Lightroom) What are you trying to accomplish with the history?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ujil

There are a few things you can do - which may help you.

1. Within the history panel - take snapshots (click on the camera). . You can combine this with number 3 automatically by turning on Automatically create New Snapshot when saving in History options. These snapshots are there  even if you go beyond the number of history states but will remain only whilst you have the document open

2. A practice I always recommend - Save the document regularly at key-points using Save As and incremental filenames i.e. filename001, filename002 etc.  These incremental versions, as well as giving you history points, can be a lifesaver if you have a crash or realise you need to start again from an earlier point.

3. A variation on the above - Save the document regularly using Ctrl+S to your Creative Cloud Files Folder and ensure that Sync is turned on. When you overwrite it, Cloud storage moves the previously saved version(s) to the archive.
How useful this is to you depends on the number of documents, the size and the Cloud storage in your plan.

4. As others have said, the history log gives you a text list of adjustments

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Love those ideas Dave! And I too keep students creating snapshots only to be used with the history tool for erasing to the past for destructive changes. It seems less useful for a saved History as it is session based. I prefer nondestructive edits most of the time in Photoshop (Smart Objects, Layer Masks, Adjustment Layers, etc). But if you want to save those snapshots, why don't you Stamp Visible. I use this Stamp Visible for the occasional solution when I have to go destructive. This is my favorite Photoshop gem to share.

The keyboard shortcut is Layer>Merge Visible with the Option (Alt) key added in and remember Stamp Visible only creates a new layer from the visible layers!  (You can actually hold down the Option (Alt) key while you choose Layer>Merge Visible to Stamp Visible!)

Stamp Visible

1. Select a Visible Layer. I prefer to create a Layer>New> Layer then stamp visible on that. You don't have to create a new layer but if you have nothing in a layer then it stamps visible into that layer and that can be positioned wherever you like it (in a group, near the bottom, etc). If you don't have an empty new layer selected it will create a new layer above the selected layer. Remember, the selected layer has to be visible! If the selected layer is not visible (eye turned off), it will not work!
  2. Command+Option+Shift+E or Control+Alt+Shift+E
  3. Look in your History panel your last state of history will be Stamp Visible and you will have a merged copy of all the visible layers!

Variations

1. If it is variations you are worried about (choices) I use Layer Comps. This can show visibility, position & appearance (layer styles) but if you transform or change a pixel in any way, this is not the right option for you.
  2. The other choice is similar to Dave's number 2 option. I use the History panel and click on the page icon Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 9.51.04 AM.png at the bottom of the panel. This Creates a new document from the current state. The name of the document until you save it will have the name of the last state you had. This is a way I can go off in a different direction without worry about messing up the earlier document. I usually save and close the original and name the new one as some variation of the first.
  3. I have not used Dave's number 3 choice but I think that is an awesome idea! Might have to try that!

Hope that helps even a little more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines