• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking tables across pages

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to link tables across pages in Adobe Indesign in the same way you're able to link text boxes?

I'd like to create a document that has one table that continues across multiple pages, so I'm able to flow information from from Microsoft Office Excel table.

Is this actually possible?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

I would simply use the file>place command, browse to the Excel file making sure to show options. Choose formatted or unformatted table depending on your needs and then shift click on the first page to auto flow the table.

If you’re going to need to update the information in the table, choose to link text and spreadsheet files in your preferences. Get familiar with table/cell styles as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Works exactly the same as normal text.

Only exception is that you cannot split table cells across frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok brilliant...

...but could you explain how you're doing it please?

It doesn't seam to be working for me.

Just to clarify, I need one table split over multiple pages. So as an example if I have an Excel table that has 4 colomns and 100 rows.

But my indesign document with 4 pages, each page has a table on it with 4 columns and 25 rows. What are the steps I need to do to link the tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you getting at here? You say you want it to flow and it sure sounds like that’s what it’s doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha... I don't know how else to explain it to be honest. I'll try again

Lets say I have set up a indesign document with 4 pages. Each indesign page has a table on it with 4 colomns and 25 rows.

I have been supplied with an Excel document that has a table with 4 columns and 100 rows.

I'd like to link the four indesign tables together, so when I copy and paste the Excel tables contents in the first table on my indesign document to will flow across all four pages.

Any better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an InDesign file with a Primary text frame which will be by default on the master page. Flow your excel text into the first document page and as many pages as needed will be created with all of the text as a single text thread. Select all of the text and under the Table menu choose Convert Text to Table. Enter in the number of columns you want and style the table as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would simply use the file>place command, browse to the Excel file making sure to show options. Choose formatted or unformatted table depending on your needs and then shift click on the first page to auto flow the table.

If you’re going to need to update the information in the table, choose to link text and spreadsheet files in your preferences. Get familiar with table/cell styles as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I've got it!! Thank you everybody.

I was doing a rookie error when pasting in.  Doh!

I wasn't highlighting the full table across all pages so the info was flowing in correctly. **cringe**

My sanity is now restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also add headers and footers which will appear automatically on every page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create the first table on the first page and fill it with your content. Then, just as with a regular text box, you will see a small square "button" on the edge of that first table box near the bottom righhand corner. Click on that button and your cursor will now show a text block. Place that where you want to the second table to be placed and click there. Voila....your overflowing table contents now flows into that second box.  Continue adding table boxes as needed onto following pages. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines