Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing a photoshop file into Indesign for printing

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am working on a poster that I have made in photoshop and now it is getting time to print it. I need to set up margins and bleeds(which I should've done in the beginning) and I'm wondering if there's a way to do it in photoshop? If not, then I was wondering if it is possible to take the psd file and place it into Indesign and still maintain the full resolution for print?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the best way to maintain vector shapes or live text when placing PhotoShop contents on an InDesign page is to save the PhotoShop file as PDF/X-4. Change the predefined PDF/X-4 settings so that no downsampling of image data is done.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have an image that is more or less the size it will appear in InDesign with an Effective resolution of between 250 and 300 PPI (you can check this is the InDesign Links panel) expand the image to give a 3mm/1/8" bleed on the appropriate edges. Keep the image in RGB color mode (and let the PDF/X-4 software do the conversion). Add any text in InDesign (which can be under or over the image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign will  be able to maintain full resolution if the file is imported as a PSD or TIFF as long as it is brought in at 100% of it's size. It should never be enlarged since it will lose resolution. If it needs to be reduced it should be resampled in Photoshop before importing into InDesign. Since you are doing a poster you should check with your printer as to their resolution requirements. Large posters do not usually need resolution set as high as smaller print jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill makes a fair point, if the poster is to be viewed at a distance the resolution can be reduced by quite a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you.

So as long as I keep the same document size and resolution I should be ey-okey then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hoynala  wrote

… So as long as I keep the same document size and resolution I should be ey-okey then?

I'd always prefer to save to PDF/X-4 from PhotoShop with no downsampling of image data.
With that you are always on the safe side when placing the PDF on an InDesign page.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always found that a PSD provides the most flexibility in the workflow since not only does it, in my experience, always retain full resolution but InDesign also recognizes the PSDs full transparency and even allows the ability to turn on and off layers within InDesign. I work in the production studio of a large New York agency and in the many years I've been working on and releasing jobs to printers I've never had a problem when working with PSDs in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bill, also you can "round trip" between InDesign and Photoshop to easily make further changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great information, thank you Bill!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, text layers are rasterised when it's PSD placed in INDesign and exported to PDF.

Text will remain vector if you place the PDF from Photoshop and place into InD and export to PDF>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this depends on the requirements of the job and the workflow. I agree with Derek's first comment that most text should be done in the InDesign file. That way there is no worry about text anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Photoshop file is saved as a PDF, the text will retain its vector quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All the same - if you want vector masks, vector shapes or text to output crisply, then it needs to be a photoshop PDF that's placed into InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines