• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR won't print to photo paper on Epson Artisan 730 printer.

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR 6.12 on Windows 10 with an Epson Artisan 730 printer.  It will only print to plain paper 8 1/2 x 11.  I have the proper profile setup 4x6 photo paper.  I have set the photo paper as the default in Windows and LR still picks plain 8 1/2 x 11 paper.  I have tried everything I can think of to get it to print on photo paper.

I currently have to Edit In PS CS-6 and print.  That works fine.

I don't know what else to try?  Help please!

Thanks!

Gary.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

I just stumbled upon the problem.  See the screen clip:

ScreenHunter_17 Aug. 16 22.21.jpg

I don't know how the layout item got checked, but unchecking the Reduce/Enlarge Document corrected the problem.  I can now print to 4x6 photo paper.  This was definitely a strange problem.  I only saw this because I was looking at all the tabs to ensure all is correct.  I wondered what this was checked for and with it saying Letter (8 1/2 x 11in), I thought what would happen if I unchecked it.  Well it fixed the problem.

I still don't know wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "8 1/2 x 11"  suggests to me you may be selecting a preset from the Template Browser panel. These Lightroom default templates are mostly (if not ALL) set to 8 1/2 x 11.   Do NOT choose a template (unless it is one YOU have created).

You must choose your paper size, etc, from the [Page Setup]  which opens a printer dialog and set the paper in this dialog, then set margins, etc, in the Print Layout panels.

Is this something you have not thought of?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 4x6 template in LR.  I have [Page Setup] set for 4x6 photo paper.  I double checked that all is set for 4x6 photo paper.  I print and the Epson print window opens and says printing to plain paper and 8.5x11.  Sure enough, it prints to 8.5x11 plain paper.

I can't find any setting in LR that is not set to 4x6 photo paper, but it still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thought you should know, I am not a new user.  I have been using LR from version 4 and PS since CS 4.  This problem only started a week ago.  I can't figure out what has happened to cause this.  I have not done anything new.  No upgrades recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 4x6 template in LR.

1. If you are using this- ScreenShot155.jpg Then it is wrong.

This default template is for a 6x4 image on 81/2 x 11 paper. Do not select ANY 'Lightroom Template'.

2. Are you placing your 6x4 paper in the Paper cassette?

ScreenShot154.jpg

3. From the [Page Setup] button- Are you setting all the Paper options in the Printer dialog?  Source, Type, Size.?

ScreenShot147.jpg

If still failing- uninstall the printer and re-install the driver.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. the photo paper is in the proper cassette.

3. I am selecting the proper preferences for photo paper.

1.  This seems to be my problem.  I did select the top entry in the templates for 1 print.  They don't say they are for 8.5x11 paper.  On the screen it still says 4x6 is the print size.  So now is the big question:  how do I un-select a template?  I tried to find a way but it was always using one of the templates.  Even clicking on the folder name does not release me from a selected template.  Even closing LR didn't release the selection.

I do believe I may have caused the problem by clicking on a template without thinking.

Are all the standard templates installed with LR for 8.5x11 paper?  They don't say that, so I assumed the 1 print was for whatever size paper the printer setup was set to.

Can you point me to where I can learn how to make my own template for 4x6 photo paper?

I appreciate your help with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a template. Go back to your page setup, which brings up your printer dialog  and choose your paper type and choose the paper size. If you want borderless printing then choose that option in your page setup options.Then set everything else up in the print dialog in Lightroom. Something like this:

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried many things, even what you said.  I even closed LR and opened it again.  When I select the photo in question and go to the print module, the template is still selected and it prints on 8.5x11 paper.  Even after opening LR fresh, I cannot get it to print on 4x6 photo paper.  Other photos which I never selected a template print okay now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Canon printer. Like you, just to test things out, I chose the 4 x 6" template. This put a 4 x 6" print on a 8.5 x 11" page. Then I went to the page setup and chose 4 x 6" paper and borderless printing as well as the type of paper I wanted to use and the orientation. Then in the Lightroom print module I adjusted the settings as illustrated in the screenshot that I posted. I totally ignored the template section. The print job changed to print on a 4 x 6" paper as expected with no borders. Are you not able to do something similar on your printer? Does your printer actually print borderless prints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunrise again in Oz. Thanks Jim for continuing the conversation.

My advice is-

Collapse the Template Browser Panel.

Do not ever select a template from the Template Panel. (especially if a LR beginner.)

Always go straight to [Page Setup]  and set your paper there in the printer dialog.

Press ' i ' (eye) for information shown on the print window- it will show the Paper size selected.

ScreenShot156.jpg

When I select the photo in question

Note: If you have clicked on [Create a Saved Print] and are choosing (selecting) that print from the Collection panel, then the template used for that Print Collection will always return- until you change it! (you can 'Update' a template preset by a right-click)

When you have created a print design that works for paper size, margins, etc,  then you can create a User Template of your own that you can select in future. You will see these under the "User Templates" heading-

ScreenShot157.jpg

How is progress?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created two 4x6 photo paper user templates, one for landscape and the other for portrait.  The portrait worked fine.  The photo which I am having problems with is landscape and still won't print properly.

Here's the LR view:

LR Print View.jpg

But this is what the Epson Print window said:

LR Being Printed.jpg

And it did print on 8.5x11 paper.  I can't seem to stop it!

Thanks again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try two things for a 'landscape' image-

1. Use your 'Portrait' 6x4 template (that works) and tick the box for "Rotate to Fit". in the Image Settings Panel, Print.

2. Use your 'Portrait' 6x4 template, open 'Page Setup...' and change the Printer dialog from Portrait to Landscape, [OK]. Then Right-click the 'Landscape' 6x4 template in the Template Browser panel and [Update to Current Settings].  Try it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your instructions to the letter.  Same problem.  Printed to 8.5x11 paper.  Same displays were shown.

I don't understand what is wrong with this one photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A mystery... and is it just this "one photo" or anything that is 'Landscape' format?

Can you start "from scratch" ?

1.Restart Lightroom

2. Select the one problem photo

3. Open the Print Module. Do NOT click on any template in the Template Browser Panel.

4. Click on [Page Setup...]  In the words of Jim Hess- "You don't need a template..... choose your paper type and choose the paper size."

5. Look to check the settings in the Layout panels- Rotate to fit, etc.

6. Look to check the Paper size on the screen 'Info'

7. Check you have the Photo 6x4 paper in the correct tray  (as defined in setup)

8. Click [Print]    (Do Not click on [Printer...]  unless you want to re-enter the printer setup and set the dialog differently)

If still failing, then maybe a re-install of the printer drivers may be needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that all Landscape 4x6 photo prints go to 8.5x11 paper.

I did as you described above with an old photo that had printed properly a couple months ago.  Print module and did not click on any templates.  Page Setup - the 4x6 photo paper already selected.  Proper paper size on screen.  All looks good.  Clicked Print and it went to 8.5x11 paper.

Tomorrow I will uninstall and reinstall the printer software.  Let you know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay.  I uninstalled all Epson software, rebooted, and reinstalled the Epson software.  Same problem, but now none of my photos will print to 4x6 photo paper via LR.  All works fine from PS CS-6.  Still wants to send all photos to 8 1/2x11 paper.  It is selecting photo paper, but that is not what's in the tray.  So it has half of the info correct, just not selecting the right size.

I tried several other photos from other folders.  Same problem.  Right now I cannot print 4x6 from LR, period.

Should the next step be to uninstall LR and reinstall it?  It's wierd that PS CS6 is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Man , you are having troubles!

Re-install LR may help.

Resetting the Preferences file is often an answer to unusual 'bugs'.

Can you post a screen clip of your settings in the  Printing Preferences- Paper options?

Like this screen clip-

ScreenShot147.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just stumbled upon the problem.  See the screen clip:

ScreenHunter_17 Aug. 16 22.21.jpg

I don't know how the layout item got checked, but unchecking the Reduce/Enlarge Document corrected the problem.  I can now print to 4x6 photo paper.  This was definitely a strange problem.  I only saw this because I was looking at all the tabs to ensure all is correct.  I wondered what this was checked for and with it saying Letter (8 1/2 x 11in), I thought what would happen if I unchecked it.  Well it fixed the problem.

I still don't know what that Layout item is for and I don't recall ever checking it, so it is still a mystery to me.

I do appreciate your help with this!  Without you asking for me to check this and that, I would never have found the problem.  Thank you very much for all your help!!!!

I can now say Problem Solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines