• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign or Illustrator CC edits aren't showing up in re-made PDFs saved to the same filename.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Indesign or Illustrator CC edits aren't showing up in re-made PDFs saved to the same filename.

I use the PDF presets [most are custom PDFx files] and always "View PDF after Exporting". The new PDF is the old PDF, not showing any of the most current edits. The only workaround is to rename the PDF, which is a royal pain and doesn't work with my client file naming convention.

• I've saved the Indesign or Illustrator file prior to printing.
  • This worked fine with previous versions of Indesign or Illustrator's PDF Presets.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't heard or seen this happen before on my systems (both Windows and MacOS).

What platform are you running on?

What happens if you actually delete the old PDF file before doing the new export / save?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov,

<platform> Running Mac Sierra on a 27" iMac

<delete the old PDF file> That would easily solve the problem, but in my painfully moment-to-moment workflow I don't think that far ahead [unless there are a few simple steps to deleting the old file at the same time I create a new file of the same name].

What's baffling me is that this is a new problem. Older versions of Acrobat within Creative Cloud would write over the current file and I'd preview the correct, current version. Perhaps it's a setting that I've missed or has been added? Is this something new in Distiller {which I rarely visit, but assume that this is part of the CC presets}?

It's just really annoying [and I'm getting to old for this ].

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue for the last week or so.

I constantly create pdfs for clients and often realize that there's something that needs fixed in InDesign before I send it.

So, I make the edit in InDesign and save over the previous pdf.

When it opens in Acrobat DC it displays the previous version.

The only fixes are to either close and reopen Acrobat or delete the older pdf before exporting the new pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you keeping the original PDF file open in Acrobat while making the edit in Illustrator or InDesign? If so, close the document in Acrobat first!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can't export to a new PDF in the same location while the old PDF is open.  You'll get an error message that a file of that name exists or is in use elsewhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem constantly and yes, it only happens with newer (CS6 and CC) versions of InDesign.  (I haven't used it in Illustrator but I can certainly imagine it happening there, too.)

It doesn't make a difference if I delete the original file in the folder first; the new pdf will retain all the attributes of the old one.

The ONLY workaround I have found is to export the PDF with a slightly different name, like putting "v2" at the end of the existing filename just before the extension. Then I can delete the original with impunity.

It's an annoying glitch and is just more ammunition for my growing enmity toward Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines