New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a problem for a friend

Background

Part 1 - PSE

we are planning on purchasing an imac and buying PSE for OSX

then I will be able to backup all the catalog with Albums Tags etc and restore onto the iMac

I know that works as i was able to try that out in a shop recently

I would then have 1000's of photos in 100s of albums onto the iMac and get rid of the windows PC

So thats solved above

part 2 - icloud

going forward he will be using an iphone for all his photos and droping the compact camera

And the Photos App works really well and gets everything into albums which he uses all the time

Part 3 - the issue

a) We have PSE with albums on the iMac

b) We have Photos and icloud with loads of albums on the iphone (256GB) and sync across to an ipad

Happy to drop PSE - but how do i get PSE to work with icloud , so we can get all those albums onto the iphone and ipad and still use icloud photo library going forward

He just wants all the OLD Legacy photo Albums and all the NEW photoo albums available on all devices

iMac, Iphone and Ipad

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

waynew96519257  wrote

He just wants all the OLD Legacy photo Albums and all the NEW photoo albums available on all devices

iMac, Iphone and Ipad

You previous post:

PSE migrated from windows to imac

If that was possible, I am sure expert Mac users here would have already answered.

The basic fact is that the information stored in each data management system is closed to the other one.

Part of the information like tags, captions or ratings can be written in the metadata section of the files themselves. Managing softwares can retrieve them under certain conditions. The word 'album' does not mean the same thing in both environments and is not stored in the files themselves.

What can you expect now, knowing you can't manage both systems at the same time?

It seems likely that you'll opt for the Mac solution and forget the Elements organization.

I can't speak for the Mac apps, but for ANY other external managing software, the usual solution is based on creating in the organizer a folder hierarchy structure mimicing your albums structure. Since albums are not stored in the files themselves, the image files of an album have to be stored in a dedicated folder to be recognized. You can easily move the files in an album to a new empty folder, but that would be a hard job for hundreds of albums. On the other hand, in the Organizer, albums are lists. You can include the same file in several albums created for different purposes; then you would create duplicates...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks

the shame of it, is that itunes supports pse albums

and so you can write those out to an ipad using itunes

so apple have thought about it

forgot i posted before, but now i know i can get all pse on a mac, as i have done this on a mac with my sample

would be really good to move that extra step

What can you expect now, knowing you can't manage both systems at the same time?

It seems likely that you'll opt for the Mac solution and forget the Elements organization.

164gb of photos and albums for the last 15years - is difficult to forget

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines