Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Numbered Paragraph Styles not working

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have set up a good number of paragraph styles. Unfortunately, when applying these especially the numbered ones, some of the applied styles do not work and I always had to change the List option (just below the List Type) to different options until I get the numbering correct. This makes it frustrating because then, I will have to change all other List to different options as well. In some parts of my documents, they don't follow the previous numbering.

I did all I could to make the styles work automatic: I have made sure that there are no character styles overriding my paragraph styles; I have made the Mode to 'Continue from Previous Number'; I have right clicked on the text - restarted the numbering and then right clicked again to continue from previous number; I have checked that there are no hidden or outside applied styles from my work space.. and yet they don't work.. Please advise what went wrong... Thanks a million!

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 7.48.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 7.53.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 8.00.36 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

So, this is all one list—I used your name Headings. You had two separate lists and that's why you were running into problems. It's 7 levels, so once they were all one list, it was just a matter of hiding and showing and restarting the various levels as per the table I posted to above. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm trying to figure out, did you set up a List Style as part of your numbering options (and paragraph styles)? If you set one up and make sure you have the continuation from stories checked, then it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erica,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Yes I did create one List style at first and applied to all: Main Heading, Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3. Later on, the applied style on the Main Heading won't work as it doesn't follow the correct numbering. So I had to go back to the List style and create a new one to apply, but then I realised all other paragraph styles do not follow the numbering. I changed the List style to follow the new one I created and applied to all the paragraph styles. But then the Main Heading style didn't work again. No matter how many List style I create, I end up going back to default List style, but still doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ivy:

I wrote this up for a student to explain the logic behind numbered heads in InDesign. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions (and I encourage you to sketch out the table for your numbers—it makes it so much easier.)

Adobe InDesign: Numbering Chapters, Subheads, Tables & Figures - Rocky Mountain Training

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for that. I did carefully applied the logic, unfortunately, it is still not working.

Perhaps if I share the document to you, you would be able to check what went wrong? Maybe I am still missing something and you can advise me further? https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=7601012-DOC-B_StyleAndColourGuides-For-Loading.indd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ivy:

I'd be happy to take a look. You can post the file on dropbox, right click my name and send me the link via a message, or you can post it publicly in a reply to this response.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ivy: the second link worked, I have the file and can see what you have currently. Can you please list what you need it look like?

1.0 Main heading

etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

The below is how I wanted the numbering to be:

1.0        Main Heading

1.1        Body Heading 1

1.1.1     Body Heading 2

A           Body Heading 3

A.1        Body Heading 4

For the figure numbering, I never got to the right formula as below. The numbering are as per the Main Heading (supposedly) This should apply to Tables as well.

Figure 1.1, Figure 1.2, Figure 1.3

Figure 2.1, Figure 2.2, Figure 2.3

Figure 3.1, Figure 3.2, Figure 3.3

Table 1.1, Table 1.2, Table 1.3

Table 2.1, Table 2.2, Table 2.3

Looking forward to your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I have now. Can you confirm that this numbering is correct?

InDesign CCss_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb

This is great!!! Yes this is exactly what I wanted.

Please advise me where I went wrong.

Thanks a million!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I found some mistakes so check here:

InDesign CCss_006.pngInDesign CCss_007.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll send over the file on dropbox, and will be right back with the explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, this is all one list—I used your name Headings. You had two separate lists and that's why you were running into problems. It's 7 levels, so once they were all one list, it was just a matter of hiding and showing and restarting the various levels as per the table I posted to above. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, you've been truly helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help, Ivy.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines