• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script that links particular Emitter position to a nulls position.

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, So I have a particle I want to play on multiple nulls I have imported from Maya. Easy enough I can just link the Emitter x,y to the pos of the null and then link the z to the pos of the null. One down 48 to go....  These nulls are all animated and the reason I am using nulls is because they can rotate  and I can control the rotation in Maya or in AE. If I control them in Maya I have to link the rotation of the emitter in particular from x,y,z to the Orientation of the null. X, Y, Z. This is extremely tedious and I feel like there has to be a script out there or something I can do where I just select the layer that has particular and the null i want and hit a link script.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Jon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

For tedious expressions that I am going to be using all the time I save them as animation presets. Instead of a layer name you can use index-1 to indicate the layer above.

If I saw the timeline and knew exactly what you were doing I could give a better answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For tedious expressions that I am going to be using all the time I save them as animation presets. Instead of a layer name you can use index-1 to indicate the layer above.

If I saw the timeline and knew exactly what you were doing I could give a better answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick! That might work. Little new to expressions, How do you save the expression as an animation preset?

That index-1 might do the trick.

Basically i have this setup repeated in my comp 48 times

Solid layer

Particular

Emitter

Position x,y

Position z

Rotation x

Rotation y

Rotation z

Null

position x,y,z

Orientation x,y,z

so I need to link the particular position to the null position and each Rotation axis to the null orientatoons.

Thanks for for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Basically, do what Rick said. On your first layer, pick whip to the null's position, orientation, etc. to get it working. Then, in the expression, replace it's reference to the layer itself with the index -1 or +1 (depending on how you want to structure things). See if it still works. If so, great! Just duplicate the layer and move it in the layer stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines