• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lrcat backup .zip file is "corrupt" in Windows 10 and converts to .cfg when opened in Mac OSX

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My external hard drive suffered some data loss and I was able to recover the backups for my catalog, but they fail to operate correctly when i attempt to recover my data. When I use winrar in Win10 to open the catalog backup, it fails with an error, while opening the .zip in OSX results in it opening, but the file becomes foo.zip.cfg

The file itself is 4.83 mb, which seems accurate as I don't have an incredibly large catalog, but I would still be devastated if my data is lost. I have access to a large amount of the recovered data that I may be able to try, but any and all directory organization was lost so I'm not sure which files would belong where if I were to try and reconstruct my actual catalog. Does anyone have any pointers on fixing this issue with the backup? I can run on either OS, but mainly use OSX for my photography, so scripts or steps on Mac would be the preferred method.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: Mac OSX unzips the file as a .cpgz, not .cfg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you RECOVER these backups for your catalog.  Did you use a recovery program or were they from a backup drive?  If you used a recovery program there is no guarantee that it has the correct data it the file.  You SHOULD NOT keep backups on the same drive as your other files. 

See if this may help.

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 2.35.40 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4.83 mb seems extremely small for a LR catalog

What you don't make clear is whether or not this backup was on the external HD that had problems, or not? And where is the active catalog file? Do you have that?

If you can't open the backup catalog, then it is likely corrupted and not usable.

On your MAC, see CPGZ File (What It Is & How To Open One)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file was recovered using an application so it's very well possible that it is incomplete. As for the location of the original catalog file, I am not sure where that is. What naming format would the actual catalogue be in, foo.lrcat, or would it be in some other naming convention? I did some (key word: some) searching at 6 AM before a work meeting for the original catalog and didn't see anything, but I can check again later.

I am well aware that backups should not be stored in the same location, but this was a result of attempting to transfer between machines. Of course, while I'm in the process of system wiping the old machine and transferring to my new main machine, an MBP, I lose everything. 'Tis quite the situation, and I'm not too happy about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it looks like my catalog may be toast, but I was able to recover most of my recent RAW files, so not all hope is lost. I may have lost all edits, but perhaps a freshly started catalog will prove beneficial; revisiting pieces could bring some new ideas to light.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines