• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text do not stick to camera tracker - why?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I have watched about ten youtube videos on this matter and gone through it frame by frame. Everybody can do it, but somehow not me.

I want to camera track and not point track

This is how i did it: YouTube. Where do I go wrong?

Best regards

Jesper

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Premiere or AfterEffects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text does not stick to camera tracker why?

because that is a feature in AE. Premiere does not have motion tracker.

You can however if you want keyframe the text, but that usually means a lot of work.

(your second link does not work)

You posted in the Premiere forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops - sorry AE question.

Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to AE forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jesper,

Camera motion tracking is indeed best achieved in Ae, rather than PPro, although both applications work seamlessly together through dynamic link, as shown in the tutorial video you linked to. From PPro you can replace any given clip with an Ae composition, which sends the clip from PPro to Ae for further tweaking.

Inside Ae, just follow the tutorial step by step (make sure you use Track Camera not Track Motion in Ae) and select a big enough plane (which may consist of multiple camera tracking points) and it should work. It may be that the source file gets attached at a wrong place in 3D space, however, so you may need to adjust the X, Y and/or Z position values. If that can't be done, tweak the Anchor settings instead.

Please share a working link of your YouTube video so we can all see what you're trying to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -

I think thats what I did. I made it once, but I cannot reproduce the success

the link should work now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before creating a text or a null object, you have to make sure the desired tracking points remain visible for the length of the track. Simply scrub through the timeline to make sure this is the case. If not, find other tracking points that do and create your plane there. It's easy enough to place the desired object in another location, using either the position or anchor values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The spot that I picked is visible all the time in the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that is weird behavior.

Have you tried to create a different tracking area? Sometimes the wonders of Ae can be tricky...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - tried that too. Still the same.

Can I somehow create a camera and do something ith the snail icon?

(sorry for the newbie terms)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a couple of errors in your workflow. The first mistake is that the tutorial you linked to was made by an amateur that kind of figured out a way to make something work but left out a couple of key steps in the process and also demonstrated a completely amateurish way to create a shadow that was not even closely lined up with the rest of the shadows in the shot. You have to vet your trainers.

The second mistake was completely procedural. It is important to set an origin and ground plane and stick some kind of a reference object, text or solid to the ground to see if it tracks properly. The option is near the bottom of the panel that opens up when you right click on a target. A better technique would have been to set your target as the origin and ground plane, then create a solid or a text and camera and check the tracking. If it sticks you then can start manipulating the placed 3D element.

And even better technique would be to size the target before you place your text layer so that the size is appropriate. It is also not a good idea to use Scale to resize text especially when it is a 3D layer because Z scale is also changed and this can move the text if the anchor point is not precisely on the z plane. Sizing the target helps get things the right size and using font size is also a good idea.

If your placed 3D layer is snot tracking you should first open up a second 3D view and see if the placement makes sense and the camera is moving as it should. If you established an origin and ground plane and placed a reference there the object should be at comp center. If you did not the placed 3D layer can be anywhere.

Another thing that may be throwing off your track is the lens distortion in your shot. There is quite a bit of lens barrel distortion in the shot. Notice the curved horizon:

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 9.21.08 AM.png

The AE camera is perfect. If your shot is not it's a good idea to fix the distortion before running a camera track. Sometimes fiddling with the knobs in the camera tracker can give you a more accurate solution.

So here's what I would try. Pick several tracking markers somewhere in the middle of the shot to get a target that looks like it's pretty well lined up with the ground, Size the target so that it looks like it is about the same size as something in the shot that you can use to line up a ground plane. set Origin and Ground Plane and then add a solid and a camera. Now add Effects>Generate Grid to the solid and see if the grid lines up with the ground. Check to see if it sticks to the ground. If it does you can replace the solid with a text layer or just create a new text layer, make it 3D, select the placed solid, hold down the shift key and parent the 3D text layer to the solid. This will snap the 3D text layer to the exact position and orientation of your test solid.

If you can't get the solid to stick to the ground then your track is no good and you'll have to make some adjustments to the camera tracker settings or remove the lens distortion and start again.

last point - make sure that Active Camera is selected and the comp is in the Classic 3D mode. Not all shots can be successfully camera tracked. This one looks like it would work fairly well without removing the lens distortion and would probably work very well if you could correct the distortion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thankyou for your answer. I am a newbie on this and I really appreciate your help.

Tried some of the solutions you suggested, but I cnnot make it work.

I tried to make a Track solid, but it will not stick too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one camera in your comp? Active camera selected in Composition Settings? Real footage, not game capture?

If the answers are all yes and you still can't make it work send us a link to the footage if possible and let me give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure that active camera is selected.

Link to dronefootage in this folder: Dronefootage - Google Drive

There is one small file and the originlnal footage in the folder.

Thankyou for trying to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - suddenly it worked

I tried to import the small file directly into AE. Then it worked.

Strange

I have been importing from Premiere until now.

In Premiere I use the razorblade to cut to the clip that I want to use and selects "replace with AE composition"

When importing into AE it asks me to enter a filename. I typed a random name in.

Clicks "track camera". Right clicks on the ground to make a good projection. Manipulates the text.

And then it will not stick - strange

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your shot is over 2 minutes long. This is an incredibly long shot to camera track. You will want to trim the shot to include just where the object you want to place in the scene enters the frame and leaves the frame. It his highly unlikely that you will get an accurate camera track for the entire shot. If you want to place multiple objects in the scene you'll be better off breaking the shot up into a separate comp for each object and then combing the result using editing. For my test I tried the shot to just over 18 seconds.

After analyzing and solving the camera for the 18 second comp I set an origin and ground plane just in front of the first structure making sure that all of the selected tracking markers were on the same plane, sized the target to include only the graded area in front of the structure, added a solid and a camera, applied grid to the solid to make sure that the perspective was correct and averting worked just as expected. No special precessing or advanced features were required with the camera tracker. I then added a text layer manually and another text layer using markers in a different part of the scene to check for distortion and again everything worked just as expected.

It will take a while but I'll run camera tracker on the whole shot and see what is happening with the camera track. I am guessing that it will be way off. I'll let you know.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 4.12.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-13 at 4.12.40 PM.png

EDIT: I see you got it to work while I was composing my reply. Still analyzing 5764 frames in the entire clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny

Again if i start out directly in AE with the 18 sec footage it works is it shall.

If I start in premiere and uses 15 secs from the original footage in AE it will not follow the track

Have a look at the two processes here: YouTube

It must have something to do with the lenght of the clip or how I import it into AE.

Can you seee any error in the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there's a bug in the Create comp from selection in Premiere Pro then don't mess with it. It could easily be the length of the clip or it could be the reduced resources when you have a project that is using Dynamic Link. You definitely cannot get a good track from the entire shot. I tried 4 times. I would never expect any Camera Tracking software to successfully pull that off unless you completely and accurately remove lens distortion. There's just way too much information to accurately process and too much distortion over so many frames as they pass through the frame.

Trim the shot to just the frames you will use in your final edit. If the inserted text is going to be in 300 frames then trim the shot to 300 frames, do the camera tracking and do the composite. If there is text that is going to be in the first 200 frames and some more text that is going to be enter in frame 150 and leave the frame on frame 500 then cut up the shot, make two comps, do two tracks, and cut the shots together by adding both comps to a main comp and include only the camera movement and the text in the nested comps. Put the original footage below the nested comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will do so. Thankyou for your time.

The inconsistency of the product made me crazy :O)

Best

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think I found the error. Nw

I took my original footage and exported it in Premiere - and voila - from here it works.

It was Dronefootage from a phantom DJI 3 professional. Somehow it had to be chrunched first

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem!

My trackers never move my text, if i export them from PR trough dynamic link.

If i export to a prores .mov and then track, it works fine.

I do lose a lot of time this way.. anybody knows how to fix this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jasperl74022666,

If the footage in your Premiere Pro project is not compatible with After Effects tracking may not work well. If you try importing the same footage you have in PPro and tracking still does not work then it's the video format that is causing the problem. This usually happens with interframe based MPEG formats not intended for production.

You may also be incorrectly using Dynamic link or your versions of PPro and AE don't match. The comp created through Dynamic Link should have the footage in the Project folder. You could try creating a new comp from that footage and see if that footage will track. Without a detailed workflow description, it is pretty difficult to figure out where the problem lies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HERES A FIX! 

I know this is super late but im having this same issue with premiere 2020. I found the issue (kind of) 

As you said it works when you import directly to ae which is annoying. I am also going from premiere. 

I tried a lot of things to fix it like trying different clips, and direct videos from my browser. 

THE FIX. just go to a new timeline. I opened a new timeline and did it and it work. I am nto sure what the issue is with that timeline but it is not currupt and wont let me do direct link to ae. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines