Exit

InDesign CS6 crashing on macOS Sierra

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can anyone help??

Since Thursday I have been unable to open InDesign without it crashing, the latest updates that I have done on the Mac is for Adobe and the standard Mac updates but this was all done prior and has been working fine until Thursday!!

We have tried deleting the preferences, uninstalling and reinstalling and still it crashes. Thee report that comes up, which not being of the programming world means nothing to me, nor do I know what to be looking for.

Any help greatly received.

Cheers

Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

InDesign CS6 is not supported by Adobe running under El Capitan or Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 is not supported by Adobe running under El Capitan or Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been running on both of these operating systems since they were released with no problems. it has only been since last Thursday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Owners of old programs simply have problems with Mac El Capitan/Sierra... none of which is Adobe's fault... Adobe did not change your old program to make it stop working... Apple changed their operating system and THAT is why your old programs won't work, not because of anything Adobe did... Also... every time Apple issues an update, there is the risk that an old program that HAS been working will STOP working... bottom line, old programs require a matching old operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for your opinion on Apple, however the last update from Apple was on July 30th, so i am unsure why it would take this long to affect Indesign, all other Adobe applications are running just fine.

If anyone out there has any helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If using InDesign is mission critical for your work I suggest you either revert your OS or upgrade to InDesign CC2015/2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you've already deleted your preferences I would like to suggest one other thing which may or may not do anything for this particular problem but is always worth a try—deleting InDesign's cache files.

To do so:

With InDesign closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the “Caches” folder. Within the Caches folder find and delete the entire file “Adobe InDesign”. I find that deleting the cache file completely leads to a lasting change.

This procedure is usually done when there is a problem within a panel or window but at this point it couldn't hurt.

Also in addition to the Adobe InDesign folder that you said you deleted in your Home Library Preference folder there is another file called com.adobe.InDesign.plist which at times has helped me by deleting it as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes that may work, and then one day you'll be finalising a job, doing the final corrections and bang the thing crashes and won't start. Sods law and computers ... you have to calculate if it's worth the risk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, everything Derek and John already said is spot on. However, you might find this thread offers a ray or two of hope:

Mac OS X 10.12 Sierra and InDesign CS6 - Panel Problems?

If you don't get anywhere with the recommendations, reconsider the previously-offered advice: upgrade to CC 2017 (supported on Sierra) or roll back your OS to one that supports CS6.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines