• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Images overexposed when moving to PC

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited a bunch of images on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014). I export as a JPEG and view the image and its perfect. But then open up this same JPEG on a Windows PC with a semi decent monitor and all the highlights are completely blown out. Why is this?

Look fine on iMac

Looks fine on iPhone and iPad.

Looks awful on PC monitor

I've probably answered this myself by writing this.... is it the monitor quality on the PC?

Heres one of the images - how does it look to you?

Any info appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were the two monitors profiled & calibrated? Did you embed a profile in the JPEG files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only just started using this setup - previously I've just done everything on the iMac monitor - I'd better look into calibration tools. Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks OK here on a profiled monitor.

This is the histogram for your first image which was tagged with sRGB profile:

The sun and reflection of the sun on the water have gone to almost white (and measure RGB 241,241,241  to 251,251,251) but the rest is fine

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, I've gone with sRGB as it was for display purposes only (non print) would you agree that this is the correct profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely. For posting anything on the web use sRGB.

It will look "correct" on any properly colour managed system (with a normal or wide gamut monitor) and also "sort of near to " correct on non-colour managed sRGB monitors.

sRGB tagged images will look over-saturated on a non-colour managed wide gamut monitor but there is little you can do about that.

Both the images could easily take a little more saturation. Did you by any chance process them as sRGB on a wide gamut monitor without profiling, or was it just personal taste?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe my iMac 5k Retina is a wide gamut monitor (after a quick google). I'm now more confused as to what profile I should be processing in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am not a Mac user so did a quick search and the Retina does have a wider color range than sRGB.

https://blog.conradchavez.com/2015/10/26/a-look-at-the-p3-color-gamut-of-the-imac-display-retina-lat...

So you really do need to work in a properly color managed workflow which means ;
a. A suitable working space - Adobe RGB works well for print and the range of colours available on your monitor

b. A display profile which describes your monitor. A canned profile from Apple may work - a hardware device to profile will work better

c. Print profiles describing your printer/paper combination

Save your master files as PSDs with layers etc.  Then when preparing an image for the web Export a copy using Save for Web and ensure that "Convert to sRGB" and "Embed color profile" are both checked.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for advice Dave, I've been experimenting with the method of saving the PSD's "Convert to sRGB" and "Embed color profile" and am still experiencing the issue.

So arriving tomorrow is a Datacolor Spyder - hopefully this will improve things. I'll keep you posted.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! Oh! We've been assuming the images lo wrong on Windows in PhotoShop. But it occurs to me you might be looking in some other app...? Most Windows apps won't show accurate colour ever, except by sheer luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm processing the images in Lightroom on the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) - they appear perfect. I export as Jpeg/TIFF/PSD and again all looks fine, but when I open these exports on a windows PC, the highlights are overexposed and blown out.

I'm assuming after this conversation that my monitors need calibrating - so a Datacolor Spyder calibrating tool is arriving tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you open them on the PC. Can you confirm the app you use on the PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe Lightroom on both iMac and PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm that the Monitor Calibration fixed this issue.

Can highly recommend the Spyder5Elite Monitor Calibration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines