Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash doesn't work in Microsoft Edge with Windows 10 64X Pro

Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried different things that a lot of members posted here in this forum. So far nothing work in Microsoft Edge with Adobe Flash. The other program with YouTube doesn't work as well because of Adobe Flash as well.  I have tried different troubleshooting for Adobe Flash to work but more likely the problem lies with Microsoft Edge. I did check to see if Adobe Flash Player enable and show me the picture of tree in Adobe Flash Player test. What else can you think of this problem for Adobe Flash. Might have to contact Microsoft for this.

Let me know about this.

Thank you,

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browsers are phasing out support of all ActiveX & NPAPI  plugins in favor of native Web apps.    This includes Java, Silverlight, PDF, QuickTime and others...

How to Use Java, Silverlight, and Other Plugins in Modern Browsers

For security reasons, Firefox, Chrome and MS Edge are blocking Flash Player by default now.   To overcome this, you must specifically enable the plugin on trusted sites from your browser's advanced settings. 

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-unblock-flash-content-microsoft-edge-and-manage-way-it-loaded

With each new OS & browser update, (Win 10 Creator is no exception), I find it's getting harder & harder to overcome these default settings.  It's all leading up to when Flash Player will officially end-of-life in late  2020.

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

For what it's worth, I have not been able to view Flash content in Firefox for a very long time.  I gave up on it.  On those rare occasions when I really need Flash Player, I switch to Chrome.   Fortunately, very few websites are still using Flash content anymore.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are correct with this that only all 3 browsers are enabled but not with Microsoft Edge -- still not recognized.

Not sure why?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm not sure either. 

In general, when Edge utterly refuses to work, it's usually either that the person mangled their Edge install by trying manual uninstallation instructions intended for Win7 and below (editing registry keys, removing files individually, etc.) or they're a member of an enterprise domain, and a group policy applied by their network administrator prevents Flash Player from running.

If you fall into the first bucket, I've had a lot of luck by having people find the most recent Windows Update for Edge in Add/Remove Programs, uninstalling it, then running Windows Update to download and reapply the patch.  This usually gets things back to a good state.  You could do the same thing with the most recent Flash Player update as well.

If that doesn't work, I don't have a lot of good suggestions.  Because Flash Player is simply a component built into the Edge browser, we don't have a lot of control or insight into the overall installation process.

Hopefully that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On top of first message I clicked by mistake -- This question has been Answered. No the question is NOT ANSWERED. Sorry for jumping into click this.

Maybe the moderators can change this for me as I did try myself.

Thank you,

John 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems. I can't open our business emails. Have called Cox about it they referred me to adobe. called there and because we don't pay....no help. Get on the forum make sure everything is turned on and installed. says it is but still can't get into emails. I don't know what to do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a Cox customer, so I can't really inspect this directly to determine what's going on.  My sense is that there are couple things in play.  All of the major browser vendors have made Flash Player click-to-play in recent weeks.  All of those vendors implemented their click-to-play methodologies in slightly different ways, and while they work for the majority of content, they're imperfect.  Similarly, Cox has a complex web-based email application, and my observation is that the more clever the solution is, the more likely it is that one or more assumptions are being broken when the browser intercedes, preventing Flash Player from launching normally.

I've seen a handful of reports from Cox customers on this issue, but it's in the single digits.  We have an installed user base of ~2.5 billion machines.  Problems that affect even minuscule percentages of the population generate hundreds of thousands of reports.  When I see tiny numbers, that usually hints at an interplay with third-party software, like ad-blockers, anti-tracking plugins, software firewalls, etc.  There's a good chance that with such a small population of affected users, that there's a common denominator, but I don't have enough data to tell you what it is, and since I can't just go look and try the usual suspects myself, I don't have much useful guidance to provide.

Long story short, I'd be more than happy to work with the support folks at Cox to help figure this out.  I also believe that a software engineer working day-to-day on the web mail utility itself is best positioned to troubleshoot this, and at the point that they can reproduce it, can probably fix it without our help.  That said, if anyone from Cox would like to throw me a test account, I'd be more than happy to take a look.  They can message me directly through the forums (just click my username), and I'll get the appropriate engineering conversations going.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem.  Flash works in Chrome and Firefox, but not in IE11 or Edge.

When I try to use Flash I get the error message at the bottom of the screen:

"An add-on for this website failed to run"

I have enabled Flash, I have disabled activex filtering, I have updated windows.

Still nothing works.  And I cannot uninstall and reinstall IE11 b/c when I try to do that, it just says "Windows 10 comes with IE11 and you should not need to install it."....  Very frustrating for an ordinary user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide a direct link to (public) content that is not working.

For Edge, see Troubleshooting Flash Player on Microsoft Edge

For IE see Flash Player Issues | Windows 10 | Internet Explorer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is how to Block Microsoft Edge on Windows 10

1- As a precaution take a backup before blocking Edge browser. It will be helpful if any issue arises.

Now launch Settings from the search box.

Click on System settings.

Click on Default apps and from the Web browser option select any browser you wish to set it as default.

2- After opting your default browser Download Edge block from the official site of Sordum . A zip file will be downloaded to your system. Extract the zip and double-click on Edgeblock.exe.

A User Access Control permission window will pop-up. Click on Yes. Now Edge block will open up.

Click on Block button to block Edge browser. Yeah, that’s it. Now you have successfully blocked Edge browser.

If you want to unblock Edge browser click on Unblock button.

Link removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines