Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Resolution

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created an image in Illustrator and resized it in Photoshop to a smaller size, but after doing so the image looks pixilated.

I tried to alter the resolution before resizing for a sharper image, but that didn't

Not sure what I'm missing.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks very much

Matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Hi Matt

The important part in your last post is 50px x 50px. That is very little information and unless viewed at a tiny size it will look pixelated.

The 2400 PPI is irrelevant. It is just metadata that tells the print driver how big to print your image. In your case it would be 0.02 inches by 0.02 inches.

You need to create your document with more pixels

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When putting an Illustrator file into Photoshop, place it as a Smart Object. That way you can resize in Photoshop without loosing quality. If you need to edit the Smart Object layer, you can double-click on the layer thumbnail in the Layers panel. That will open the file in Illustrator where you can make more extensive edits, then save it and it will update in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

Thanks very much for responding.

I tried converting to a Smart Image then resized, but that didn't seem to retain it's resolution.

I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than converting to a Smart Object layer, place it as a smart object to begin with. You can either create an a new Photoshop file or use an existing one. Then File > Place (choose embedded or linked), and place as Smart Object.

Alternatively, you can copy and paste an Illustrator file into Photoshop. You'll be given choices of how to place -- choose Smart Object.

If the Illustrator file is vector and is placed as a smart object, it won't loose quality when you resize it in Photoshop.

Perhaps if you describe step by step what you are doing I can try to pinpoint what is going wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

Thanks again.

I've been making illustrations on an art board in Illustrator. I click and drag to select my illustration parts.

In this case it's an email icon made up of lines, rectangle, and circle.

It also has a drop-shadow, I think that means it gets rasterized and loses its vector resolution.

Then, I save it to my desktop an a png file

I open Photoshop to resize it at a high resolution.

I use 2400 which seems to work most of the time, except when I need much smaller images.

In this case I'm trying to resize an image to 50px x 50px at 2400 resolution.

I tried to open a new PS file and place the image in as you mentioned, but it still didn't retain resolution going to 50px by 50px.

File - Place (embedded or linked), then Image - Size, then try to go down to 50 x 50 px using 2400 resolution.

I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks again for your response.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Matt

The important part in your last post is 50px x 50px. That is very little information and unless viewed at a tiny size it will look pixelated.

The 2400 PPI is irrelevant. It is just metadata that tells the print driver how big to print your image. In your case it would be 0.02 inches by 0.02 inches.

You need to create your document with more pixels

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On screen, Photoshop will always render vector elements in the document's native resolution. In Photoshop you always have to think in terms of <number of pixels high x number of pixels wide>.

IOW as you zoom in, it will start to pixelate, even if you're looking at a strict vector element.

This makes sense, since Photoshop is a pixel editor, and any vector element will sooner or later have to be rasterized to the base resolution.

The point about Smart Objects here is not that it will render more smoothly on screen. It will still align to the base pixel grid and display accordingly. The point is that you can go back and re-edit the original in its original vector state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines