• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3ds max object to photoshop 3d

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I've been given an fbx file of a 3d model to work with a photoshop composite but it's not compatible so I had it converted to .obj file with .mt file attached.

I can open the obj file (though a bit messy) but the texture / materials are missing ... I tried importing the .mt file but photoshop only supports .p3m files and I couldn't find any converter for that file, any suggestions how I can make this work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

With an *.obj file you are normally looking for an associated *.mtl file with the texture details then the actual textures in an image format such as PNG, TIFF, PSD (see simple example below)

You only need to import the obj file - Photoshop will import the others as part of the process - provided they are in the same folder

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes I think I saw an *.mtl file but I don't see any image formats though... I used fbxconverter

I also tried exporting to 3ds, I can see the textures now but the parts are slightly mangled, any idea why or some way to prevent this? (it's supposed to be a bike)

Screenshot (59).png

I wonder what formats adobe use in their stock marketplace site, I couldn't download anything from there because of region restrictions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I should not have used fbxconverter and exported straight with autodesk , i think the client sent me with an older version or something. Now I can load the obj (strangely still without the pngs) and it renders properly. Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please guide me on this
I also need to move the file between Photoshop and 3D Max, but the file gets corrupted in Photoshop
(Your answer gives me hope because this form is 3 years ago!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

r u tried to grouped the object on 3ds max before u placed in the PS?

i think u must group the object to fix that prob.

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I don't remember grouping anything though... maybe it's just a 3ds version & photoshop ver mismatch/bug . Everything turned out ok when I installed the latest versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no mismatch. Your (sub-)meshes simply have non-zeroed transforms and you likely forgot to check some option when converting your FBX file (or the person creating it in the first place). Same for the textures - they were simply not taken care of to be "packaged"/ kept in a structured project folder, hence the file probably still references them based on absolute paths to the location where they were originally stored. It might not be a bad idea to read up on some of that stuff.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines