• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

INDD: Text wrap around circle doesn't look right

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, I'm trying to wrap text around the right side of a circle. Simple, right?

See image. Note how on the bottom half of the circle, the lines of text aren't meeting the text wrap boundary like they are on the top half. See the last five lines of text. The effect is that the space between the circle and the text doesn't look even all the way down. I've messed with many different settings and can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

grab.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

You've just run across the difference between mathematical alignment and optical alignment.

InDesign does perfect things very well. And as Scott outlines above, the "text wrap" takes the entire character height to Top of Caps into account as it decides where alignment is made to the border standoff of the text wrap. So your "perfect" mathematical alignment appears to be a bit off optically.

That's where operator skill comes in to make imperfect fixes where perfect things don't work. In short, we n

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same result when I tried. I did notice that when I set the Wrap options to Largest Area there was a noticeable movement closer to the circle but still not perfect. Using the direct selection tool to select the bottom point of the circle and moving that a few clicks to the left, while a crude workaround, did actually improve the effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose Edit > Deselect all can you really see the difference?

If so—and if you have time on your hands—you can customize the boundary manually with the Pen tool.

https://indesignsecrets.com/editing-text-wrap-pen-tool.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text wrap doesn’t use the edges of the letters; it uses the entire height of the font. Look at the lowercase e on the penultimate line. the reason it doesn’t touch the path of the text wrap is that there is space above the e in the font’s bounding box. A glyph with the same with but more height would not change the text position. InDesign wasn’t programmed to check the wrap against the position of the paths in each character, just the size of the font’s bounding box, or roughly from the baseline to the cap height.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you like it like this! 

Capture d’écran 2017-08-13 à 22.50.56.png

For those who could doubt, I've duplicated the "red" circle and increase its size to make the limit of the text it wraps more visible (in "grey")!

… The result is … quiet perfect! 

Capture d’écran 2017-08-13 à 23.11.30.png

I've grouped the 2 circles and now I can play with them! … Reduicing them:

Capture d’écran 2017-08-13 à 23.16.22.png

… or increasing them:

Capture d’écran 2017-08-13 à 23.18.39.png

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've just run across the difference between mathematical alignment and optical alignment.

InDesign does perfect things very well. And as Scott outlines above, the "text wrap" takes the entire character height to Top of Caps into account as it decides where alignment is made to the border standoff of the text wrap. So your "perfect" mathematical alignment appears to be a bit off optically.

That's where operator skill comes in to make imperfect fixes where perfect things don't work. In short, we need to screw things up until they work.

If you're experienced with editing paths in Adobe Illustrator, or adjusting clipping paths in Adobe Photoshop, this job will be much easier. If you're not, just click on the link below to learn how to manipulate paths within InDesign, and learn about powerful skills which will make things much easier for you in all three programs:

Edit paths in InDesign

Now, on to messing things up until they work:

1. Click on your circle with the Direct Selection Tool, which highlights both the circle and the text wrap standoff. Then drop horizontal and vertical ruler guides on the standoff anchor points as shown below:

1.jpg

2. Get your Ellipse Tool, hold down the Shift key, and draw a circle within the ruler guides you just laid down. Use the Object>Arrange>Send to Back menu command to place the larger circle behind the smaller one. Then change the circle to another color. In my example below, I changed it to a fill of None and a 1-point stroke of Magenta, to make it easier to see:

2.jpg

3. Now we can see where things are getting ugly. Right after the capital D in Duis and the lower-case l in (de-)lor, the gap opens up. We're going to fix that.

4. Get your Direct Selection Tool again and click on the inside circle, to see both the circle and the text wrap standoff. Put your cursor on the standoff path so you see the cursor with the diagonal line as shown at below left, then hold down the option/alt key (depending on whether you're working on a Mac or Windows system) so you see the cursor with the plus sign, as shown below right. Click the mouse button to place a new anchor point on the standoff path.

3.jpg4.jpg

5. Now click on the anchor point at the bottom of the standoff path to select that anchor point. This shows not only the point is selected, but also the curve handles for that point. Put your cursor on the right curve handle and shift-drag the handle in toward the point and adjust the standoff path until the text lines up something like the illustration below.

5.jpg

6. Get your Selection Tool. click away from the text and circles to de-select everything, then click on the outside circle and press the delete key to send it to electronic nirvãna.

By manually applying your imperfect fix, the text wrap now will appear optically correct.

Pretty spiffy, huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice explanations Randy! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone. Now I understand why it's happening, and I just need to decide how much trouble I want to take to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mark.

Glad we could help. Could you please mark your question as answered so the moderators will archive this and this thread can be found by others who have the same problem?

And anytime you have another issue, feel free to come here for help. There are lots of sharp folks here who can usually lend a hand.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines