Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RohoHelp 7 - Won't accept Serial Number

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I've installed the trail version of RoboHelp 7.Our company has now bought licenses for RoboHelp 7. When I enter the proper Serial on the activation screen, the key is not accepted (markedwith a red cross). On a machine without the trail, the installation + serial works 100%.

What can I do?

D.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dmostert and welcome to the RH community.

In RH6 and before you used to have to uninstall previous versions (including any trial version) before installing. Not sure if RH7 behaves differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,
But I can't find any trace of a previous versions of RoboHelp in my Add Remove Programs. How can I dbl check?

Thanks,
D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible that you have some registry entries left behind. Click on this link to see how to resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you purchase full or upgrade licences?

Were you using RH before you downloaded the trial?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, I doubt any traces of a previous version would affect this issue.

I meant to include in my other reply...

Does the red X come up after you have input the number? That happens if the number is incorrectly entered.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call Peter if this is the case. dmostert you may want to check your zeros and o's as this is often the cause of miseading with RH serial numbers (e.g. RHO not RH0).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It comes up as I enter the last digit, but The EXACT Same number works on other PC's...

I had RoboHelp Office X5 on my PC - but it seems to be uninstalled.....

It is not an upgrade license...

I've removed "robo*.* from my file system and did the same in the registry, but I believe that I might have to delete some of the "hidden" license keys as well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have purchased full versions of RH7, then it will not matter whether or not X5 was uninstalled.

What you are describing is absolutely classic for the way Adobe tell you the number is not correct.

Might you have downloaded the trial TechCommSuite rather than just RH?

Have you tried uninstalling RH, if that is what you downloaded, and then reinstalled it? I don't think that is it though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled the trail downloaded version and re-installed using the actual Adobe CD...

I'm sure it is somewhere in the "hidden" licensing data in the registry or file system....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you 100% sure you purchased full versions rather than upgrades?

Even if you purchased the wrong licence, I believe it allows installation but then does not work properly.

If you purchased the full licence, the previous installation would not be an issue. I have the last three released versions on one PC but they are not upgrade licences.

You are not convinced by that so I suggest you follow the link Column gave you. I assume you looked through every program in Add / Remove programs. RH7 comes up under Adobe. I think X5 came up under RoboHelp. Not at that PC right now.

Admin rights are required to install but not having them would not invoke that red X.

If that all fails, then you will need to speak to Adobe. Please post back the eventual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: dmostert
I've uninstalled the trail downloaded version and re-installed using the actual Adobe CD...

I'm sure it is somewhere in the "hidden" licensing data in the registry or file system....

The RoboHelp installer uses a root kit to silently write the licensing information to the Master Boot Record of your hard drive. If you did not deactive your RH before uninstalling it the license info is still "active" in the master boot record, even after wiping all RoboHelp / Adobe / Macromedia folders, files and registry references.

Also, if your motherboard has an antivirus "feature" to prevent writing to the MBR (such as some Dell computers, etc.) - you need to disable this in the BIOS before installing RH.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!

This sounds like a good suggestion....

How can I clean the MBR?

Thanks,
D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!

This sounds like a good suggestion....

How can I clean the MBR?

Thanks,
D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll say it for the last time. If you bought the full version, it does not matter what traces are left. You are entitled to install 7 and 5. The previous version being installed is only an issue for upgrades.

Check the full and upgrade prices. Check what you paid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take Peter's advise FIRST.

Do the MBR as a LAST RESORT - it is not for the faint of heart and requires knowledge of how Windows computers work as you will need to format the master boot record and that could create major problems if you don't know what you are doing.

If Peter's suggestions don't work call Adobe and spend the required time to get the appropriate level of tech support required to bypass formatting the MBR.

Regards,
GEWB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hello dmostert,

I suspect that the issue here has already been partially identified. You need to get a successful uninstall of the trial version product prior to attempting to install the full retail copy. Given that you have already partially uninstalled the trial, I would suggest the following:

1) Download the trial version again (unless you still have the download available).

2) Reinstall the trial version. It is possible that this install will give a setup maintenance dialog. If this is the case, simply uninstall and then skip to #4.

3) Once the trial has successfully been reinstalled, you should be able to uninstall from add/remove programs. If it is not listed there, simply re-launch the trial installer and it should give you that option.

4) Install your full retail version and enter your serial number.

Other things to note:
* The zeros and o's thing mention above is a common reason for this failure.
* Fdisking the MBR is not likely to help in this particular scenario as you still have many of the registry entries and files left over from the trial install on your system, even after deleting robo*. I would strongly advise against doing this.
* If the above solution does not work for you, you can use the CS3 clean script to fully remove this product. Yes, it will work, even though its not a CS3 application. You will need to run it at level 4 (you will need to key in 4 manually). Please note, this should be the last used solution as it will remove *all* Adobe applications that you have installed.

http://www.adobe.com/go/kb402767

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Bobby W
Adobe Customer Care

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp