• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help?

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently been asked to provide photographs for an assignment with a new client.

The requirements read as follows:  Images should ideally be submitted in jpeg format, and should be no smaller than 25mb, up to 50mb

I completely understand that size does not matter, but in this case it does.

I am shooting with a Nikon d750

in using lightroom I import images as raw (28MB) and even if I do no editing at all and just save the image as a jpeg on export it reduces the size to 10 mb

I have read the threads but I was wondering/hoping I missed something or if there has been new discussion regarding this problem perhaps nudging out a new solution.

Any help here is great. Thank you

Crystal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Personally I never give away raw files, because the client would probably not know what to do with them, and if they do, they might get the impression that it's OK to edit them. So I suggest that you use full size tiffs instead.

As pointed out by others, you'll have a hard time getting 25 mb or more jpgs from that camera.

I have a 24 MP camera myself, and exported a very detailed image at 100 quality which resulted in a 22.8 mb file.

The client is clearly clueless, so rather than giving them enlarg

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the image to be printed? If so select jpeg and quality 100%. Keep the resize box unchecked but type 300 into the resolution box. If you wish to add any output sharpening you will need to select either matt or glossy paper. Give it a try and I think you should see a bigger file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

I have recently been asked to provide photographs for an assignment with a new client.

The requirements read as follows:  Images should ideally be submitted in jpeg format, and should be no smaller than 25mb, up to 50mb

I completely understand that size does not matter, but in this case it does.

I am shooting with a Nikon d750

in using lightroom I import images as raw (28MB) and even if I do no editing at all and just save the image as a jpeg on export it reduces the size to 10 mb

I have read the threads but I was wondering/hoping I missed something or if there has been new discussion regarding this problem perhaps nudging out a new solution.

Any help here is great. Thank you

Crystal

No there is nothing new on this subject. The requirements you are given are moronic, and show that the client doesn't know what he is talking about. But you can't state that to him, I suppose you have to give him what he wants, even if it means doing things that might ​lower​ image quality to get that many megabytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that the client really wants MB, the only way I know is to export with "Resize to Fit" checked and enter a size in pixels that is exactly twice the dimensions in each direction, effectively increasing pixels by a factor of 4 and, depending on compression, may increase the MB by as much as a factor of 4. 

Entering exactly 2x the original pixels makes the interpolation easier and the math more straight forward and thus will cause a lesser amount of degradation.  If the client actually prints the image at a much smaller size, the loss in quality will not be noticeable.  If he complains about quality, that's when you explain to him the difference between MB and MP.

Screenshot 2017-08-10 07.21.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to consider delivering both the RAW files (or convert them to DNG) and the jpgs so they have the full size images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a good idea,! thank you for your help. This is an international editorial house who asked for coverage of a specific event. it is my first time working with them. I feel I can't question them but i will ask for more information.

Thank you again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I never give away raw files, because the client would probably not know what to do with them, and if they do, they might get the impression that it's OK to edit them. So I suggest that you use full size tiffs instead.

As pointed out by others, you'll have a hard time getting 25 mb or more jpgs from that camera.

I have a 24 MP camera myself, and exported a very detailed image at 100 quality which resulted in a 22.8 mb file.

The client is clearly clueless, so rather than giving them enlarged files to satisfy their 25 mb jpg requirement, I would try to educate them before you send the files.

For an explanation of how the jpg format works, take a look at this article: File formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree. it is very frustrating. I believe that perhaps this is how this cliet weeds out photographers who don't have a hasselblad or better.

Crystal Osgood

LPA President

www.LadiesPokerAssociation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines