• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

<ol></ol> Used to wrap numbered lists

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to format non-numbered items in FrameMaker. They look fine in Frame but when I import to RH they become completely skewed. The html files generated by RH envelope these non-numbered list items, along with the items of the numbered list, in an <ol></ol> tag. RH treats all the text inside a series of numbered list items as part of that <ol>, even when those items are not numbered themselves.

RH retains the original (FrameMaker) formatting as long as the non-numbered items do not fall within a numbered series.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

I am especially interested in fixes that do not involve having to go into the html itself. I'd like something that would allow me to do the integration and mapping of styles from Frame to RH.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2008 Oct 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this helps or not, but when you define the styles in RoboHelp (like your StepIndent), do not add any indentation to the style. Just by being within the list, it is already indented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2008 Oct 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, That would work, but then it defeats the most of the purpose of Frame/RH integration. Also, I do have some places where the StepIndent works as formatted in Frame.

Thanks for the suggestion, which I'll use in places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2008 Oct 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that one of the only ways to fix this problem permanently is to move the closing css code </ol> to the end of the numbered list, thereby enveloping all the indented paragraphs. This is done with the topic displayed in html mode.

When (if) you do this, be sure to click the save changes to html in the style sheet of the topic(s).

As pointed out by Jain Vivek on another, related, topic at the forum::

"Right click the FrameMaker document in RoboHelp project manager -> Select Properties -> navigate to tab File Update Settings. Please check if you have selected the HTML file in RoboHelp for "Preserve Modifications for these files"."

What Jain's instructions don't say is that the Properties are for the specific topic. This is found under the StyleSheets in the Project Manager Pod.

Click + to reveal the subtopics. (Don't right-click the style sheet.)
Right-click the chapter/subtopic name. The list of RH topics appears.
That's where you can take off with Jain's steps.

This lets you update all topics without having the changes overridden by the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you mentioned, editing your HTML files breaks your single source flow.

Because of similar problems, including losing all my autotext, I stopped checking Convert AutoNumber to HTML List.
That feature didn't gain anything for me anyway.

In the final output, if the list looks like a list, it's a list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2008 Oct 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maryann. I was able to get the formatting really close to what i need in the output. there were just these small glitches. I found that using the Convert AutoNumber to HTML Lis actually helped me. The thing is, you have to embrace its way of dealing with the control. It wants to format bullets and number sits way... If you let it do that and then finesses your way around it, you get pretty decent results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2008 Nov 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

grammatophile, how does Convert AutoNumber to HTML List help you?
It must be something, since so many people seem to be trying so hard to make it work (including me!)

I finally gave up (since the AutoNumber text from FM was so important in our applications), and then wondered why I had tried so hard to use the function in the first place. I designed my own css styles that look just fine, and map my FM list para styles to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maryann, I use it to format the text so that when you resize the Help window, the numbered and bulleted text wraps correctly indented. When I removed the autonumber feature, this text was wrapping so that it lined up with the number itself in the left margin . Now, I get it to line up indented--as most numbered text does (except in the FM User Guide, strangely enough).

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2008 Nov 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
"When I removed the autonumber feature, this text was wrapping so that it lined up with the number itself in the left margin ."

Hmm, I've removed the autonumber feature, and my the text in my steps still indents correctly when the help window is made really small...
It must be something in how your css is defined for your steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp