Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Red color desaturated in hue cube and on canvas

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having this issue for a while and cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

When I paint in RGB mode, the hue cube and RGB sliders do not display all shades of red.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.26.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.25.43 PM.png

(note red is at 100% but it displays as orange)

When I go to paint, all the red values are also desaturated. I can visually adjust this by changing to view proof colors, but the saved file will still display in these desaturated colors.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.28.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.29.07 PM.png

(left is canvas when painting, right is when set to view proof)

Once I export the files to jpeg, they display as the left image on my Mac. However, they appear as the right image on my Android.

Here is the document is set up.

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.36.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.36.32 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-13 at 9.36.41 PM.png

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

In the absence of a dedicated profile, consider using the Adobe RGB 1998 profile.

Your color profiles are the stock standard factory settings. So the original profile embedded in in the image is being kept.

You can try the following:

1. Choose a test image.
  2. Choose Edit Menu > Assign Profile
  3. Choose Adobe RGB (!998)

HTH

.mj

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without exact info about your monitor configuration nobody can tell you much. This quite frankly simply looks like a monitor color profile is being used wrongly somewhere and thus applied twice to the artwork.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

profile is being used wrongly somewhere and thus applied twice to the artwork

There's no way a monitor profile can ever be "applied twice", unless it's assigned to the document itself. In which case the whole color management chain cancels out and displays as if there was no color management at all.

This, incidentally, is exactly what happens when you invoke Proof to Monitor RGB. So that confirms the monitor profile is either corrupt or it's the wrong one.

Is this a dual display setup, and is one of them a DCI-P3 panel? (the most recent Apple displays, from the last year or so, are).

Are you using a calibrator to make display profiles, or are you just using the generic system profiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a dual display setup, using the generic system profiles. I'll check my monitor profile when I get home from work. I was unsure if this was a monitor issue, as I have files from before I ran into this problem and all the colors are displaying correctly when I open them in Photoshop. The settings were the same when I checked them against my current settings last night, but I could double check on that tonight as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some suggestions from Apple Forums for monitor profiling.

macOS Sierra: If your display doesn’t look right

You may want to use an untagged generic color target.

The inconsistent results you say you experiencing lead to think it's the way the document profiles and color management policies are dealing with your images.

HTH

.mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the absence of a dedicated profile, consider using the Adobe RGB 1998 profile.

Your color profiles are the stock standard factory settings. So the original profile embedded in in the image is being kept.

You can try the following:

1. Choose a test image.
  2. Choose Edit Menu > Assign Profile
  3. Choose Adobe RGB (!998)

HTH

.mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

master mo, this isn't about the document profile. That's not where the problem is.

This is about the monitor profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, going here showed me where the problem was. The color profile was set to Display (don't know how or when that happened). Assigning the color profile to working RGB seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't make any sense. Your screenshots are simply not consistent with what you say.

The color profile was set to Display (don't know how or when that happened). Assigning the color profile to working RGB seems to have fixed it.

Just so we're clear - the document profile was set to "Display" and then changed to...what, exactly? But the monitor profile was set to "Display" all along?

Because everything you say, plus your screenshots, indicate you've done it the other way round, which is wrong, and means the problem is still there. It is just concealed because display color management has been disabled.

You need to keep document profile and display profile apart, don't confuse them. They are not supposed to be the same, that defeats the whole purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document profile was set to Display, and I just changed it to the working sRGB. The monitor profile was set to sRGB all along.

I don't know what other info to give--obviously color management is not my forte. All I know is doing this corrected the problem I was having-- I have the full range of colors in my working space, all my images are now exporting correctly, and I'm not seeing a color disparity between devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you are sorted Emily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-profile the monitor to correct this issue.  Sometimes monitors flicker when being profiled and produce bad results.  Then check the document profile using the triangle pull down in the lower left corner of your document to make sure sRGB is properly assigned.  If not, assign sRGB under Edit/Assign profile. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines