• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving LR Catalog & Library from old laptop C Drive to new laptop C&D Drives (Windows)

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I move Catalog & Library from old computer C Drive to new computer C & D Drive?

I have to move to a new Hard drive (D:/) because the C Drive on new computer is solid state and does not have the room for my library.

I am using windows 10 on both computers.

Library is 264 GB, with about 22,000 folders (I need to do some file cleaning too)

Ideally, I'd like catalog on C drive (for speed) and the library on D drive.

Thank you in advance for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

ManiacJoe  wrote

Your best bet is to put both the catalog and your images on the not-C drive(s). Your catalog will not see any real world performance enhancements from the SSD.

I'd claim that just the opposite is true, that the catalog file should go on the SSD, your catalog will benefit greatly from the speed of this SSD. So does Ian Lyons, he suggests putting the catalog on the SSD. Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom​

2017-08-10 17_57_56-Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance_ _ Computer Darkroom.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best bet is to put both the catalog and your images on the not-C drive(s). Your catalog will not see any real world performance enhancements from the SSD.

My win10 setup:

system drive: c - SSD, no pictures, no catalogs, no user data in general

D: contains the Lightroom catalogs and caches

E: contains the original image files and the daily catalog backups created by LR

Q: (external drive) contains more original image files

P: (external drive) contains the backups of the catalogs, backups of image files, and backups of LR preset files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ManiacJoe  wrote

I'd claim that just the opposite is true, that the catalog file should go on the SSD, your catalog will benefit greatly from the speed of this SSD. So does Ian Lyons, he suggests putting the catalog on the SSD. Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom​

2017-08-10 17_57_56-Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance_ _ Computer Darkroom.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to both, however, my question is not what the end state is. I do want the catalog on the c:/ (SSD) drive and the library on the D:/ (HHD).

The question is, what steps do I take to get the new configuration? What steps do I take to move the catalog AND library from old computer to new, while separating which drive each goes on, so I don't screw up the catalog?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location of the catalog and the location of the original images are completely independent.

Using Windows File Explorer:

Copy the catalog and its LrData folders to the location of your choosing.

Copy the folder tree of the original images to the location of your choosing;

See this link for transferring the Lr system to a new computer:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Working on this set of instructions now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines