Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Keeps Crashing For One File

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having a problem lately in which Photoshop responds to the same file by crashing but not to others. First it took an hour or so before crashing each time so I dealt with it and saved frequently. Then it got to the point that Photoshop would crash after working on the file for a few seconds. I tried saving it to a flat .tif and working on top of that which seemed to help but now the same thing is happening. It crashes after a minute or two. Keep in mind this is not happening with another project I'm working on which is a considerably larger size. Also noteworthy is that I'm using a .tif of artwork I originally created in Illustrator as a layer on multiply mode while working on the file. That is one difference between this project and the one that does not crash. I'll be happy to provide any additional information if it might help solve the problem.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like it may be corrupt. Try creating a new file from the content. Open up the History panel and choose "Create a New Document from the Current State", Save the file and see if you can work with that file.

Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 12.03.57 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Katie. If it still keep on crashing, it may be a "out of memory"  problem of your computer. I would recommend cleaning all the cashed and try again.

Best,

Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

olga.dav  wrote

If it still keep on crashing, it may be a "out of memory"  problem of your computer.

Out of memory doesn't crash the computer. You'll just get a nice, polite message to that effect, and the operation stops.

I'd go even further: a file in itself can't crash the system. It has to be because it calls on some component, usually video driver related, which then crashes your computer. The file isn't the cause, just the trigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like you're hitting a resource wall.

Can you give an indication of the document size and how much RAM and free hard disk space you have?

You might want to try saving it as a .psb file. This a large format file format.

You can get more info here.

File formats in Adobe Photoshop

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! That's what saved my file from the same issue. I am always grateful for people like you who take the time to answer such queries and thus help people for years to come. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are able to open it, Group all the layers and Duplicate to a new document.  That will lose any work paths and alpha channels.  You'll be able to remake the masks from layer contents.  The paths not so easily. 

Another way is to select all the layers and make them a Smart Object.  Double click the SO to open in a new window, and save the resulting PSB file to a new document.  You are good to go from there.

I have occasionally used both methods successfully when a layered document has played up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines