• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decimal point massive problems (AI CC 2017.1.0 macOS 10.12.6)

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

this problem has been discussed ad nauseam here, but it still persists: AI 2017.1.0 on macOS 10.12.6 still has massive problems with handling of the decimal comma vs. point. On my system (macOS 10.12.6), all dialog boxes within Illustrator display numbers with decimal commas, but any operation (such as moving an item with cursor keys or using the cursor Up or Down keys within text boxes) makes the values multiply by 100 and then "explode".

When I start a new document, the Width textbox of the page says "210,00 mm". If I click into the textbox and use the Up key, I’d expect the number to become 211,00 mm, but instead, it gets treated as 21000, so it probably becomes 21001 and then gets truncated to 5779,56 mm (because for whatever reason, Illustrator won’t allow me to design a document larger than 5.7 meters wide, but that’s another issue). Then, the same problems persist in the Transform palette, the top control palette and pretty much everywhere. Also, because of that, trying to move items with the cursor keys result them to instantly jump off the screen (because if their X position is 300,00 mm, and I press the Right key to move them, they end up at 30001,00 or somewhere such.

See a Screen recording of the problem. Here’s another, in Preferences: Recording.

Illustrator accepts keyboard input of numbers with a decimal point only (200.5) but those inputs get instantly converted into commas (200,50 mm). When I input a number with a comma (200,5) that number becomes 20050,00 mm. And all hell breaks loose.

This problem has been reported AGAIN and AGAIN, but seemingly nothing happens.

Here are my AI unit preferences:

scr- 2017-08-16 at 13.50.39.PNG

and here are my macOS Regional Settings:

scr- 2017-08-16 at 13.50.56.PNG

scr- 2017-08-16 at 13.51.03.PNG

This problem does not exist in other apps, including other Adobe apps like Photoshop or InDesign — only in Illustrator.

I removed ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings and ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.illustrator.plist

I uninstalled Adobe Illustrator CC 2017 and installed it again.

I even switched the app language — previously, I had the English (Arabic) version of AI (en_AR) installed and now I’ve installed the English (International) (en_GB).

This all doesn’t help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve also installed the English (United States) version now. Still no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, I’ve changed my system regional settings to those below, no change.

I realize that Adobe is a young company, a startup almost that operates only in one country, and Illustrator is a new product, so Adobe is just taking baby steps in notions such as internationalization — but seriously...

scr- 2017-08-16 at 14.50.53 .PNG

scr- 2017-08-16 at 14.50.58 .PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines