• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto iCloud fully functional Lightroom backup.

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received this email from DropBox in response to a question about using DropBox as my Apple Finder Lightroom folder.

"Thank you for your detailed response, and please excuse the delay of my response.

I have reviewed your previous message and would like to note that you can use the Dropbox Desktop application for a folder structure of any size (the only limitation is the amount of space available in your Dropbox account, as syncing pauses if you go overquota).

If you drag and drop the entire folder structure to your Dropbox Desktop Folder, any changes performed to these files would sync to your Dropbox account and be accessible via the website or via linked devices.

Given the fact that this folder structure is for professional use, I believe you may be interested to know more about our Extended Version History Add-On as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/extended-version-history

It would be a good idea to check how this system works for you with a smaller section of the folder structure, so you can try it out yourself and see if it is a good suit to your professional needs.

If there is additional information I can provide on my end, please let me know- I would be happy to help as much as I can in this transition to Dropbox.

Thanks!

Regards,
Alexandra"

Question:  How do I move my entire Lightroom folder structure consisting of 5 catalogues and hundreds of folders and 500 gbyts of pictures from my Apple finder folder structure into the Apple Finder DropBox folder?   I checked with Comcast and my upload and download limits exceed the transfer of my entire library.  If this works I no longer have to store a USB drive in my Safety  Deposit box.

Thanks,

Howie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Unfortunately, your best bet is to still use external hard drives for connecting your multiple machines to the Lightroom files.

For making backups of your catalogs, you can use the Dropbox servers to sync the LrCat files between your computers for backup purposes, but using the master catalogs from inside the Dropbox folder with all the LrData folder trees is not a good idea.

Your best bet for backups for your image files is still external drives and/or internet services that specialize in backups

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your best bet is to still use external hard drives for connecting your multiple machines to the Lightroom files.

For making backups of your catalogs, you can use the Dropbox servers to sync the LrCat files between your computers for backup purposes, but using the master catalogs from inside the Dropbox folder with all the LrData folder trees is not a good idea.

Your best bet for backups for your image files is still external drives and/or internet services that specialize in backups, which is not the same as file syncing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe

Thanks for your quick reply, its appreciated.

In your testing of Dropbox as an Finder Folder iCloud source for Lightroom, what went wrong?

Howie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

I’m sure you know that in Sierra 10.12.5 the DropBox folder is equivalent to standard folders in Finder. I have been using it for 3 years for files I change daily. This includes general and financial records. I need these records saved on an iCloud server as I change them. Dropbox also gives me a revision history of these files. Should one of these files get damaged, I have a copy of the file before the damage available in DropBox. Not a day old file saved through a backup program.

It is quick and transparent and to date I have not had a single problem with the process. To view these files on another Sierra or IOS device I place a “copy” in the Apple Icloud folder. Also a standard folder within Finder. However, Apple syncs changes on these other systems back to my MacBook Pro original files in my iCloud folder, which is not linked to my standard folders. I would not install Dropbox on other systems for obvious reasons.

Also, with Dropbox, it’s a one way street. Synced out only, never synced in. But to be sure I’ll contact DropBox about this. Others my be following this discussion, so I’ll add DropBoxe's response.

Also, I do use TimeMachine to backup to two USB drives and one SSD at the end of an active session.

So, I guess I don’t understand the technical reason for your mistrust of the process? Would you share this with the community?

Howie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The primary reason why placing Lightroom catalog files in Dropbox (other than as backups) is discouraged is that once the file is closed, you can't open it again until you are sure that Dropbox has finished ALL of the synchronizing necessary. If you open the catalog file before Dropbox has synchronized everything (or in the middle of the synchronizing) then you have a corrupted catalog, and a real mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. It is appreciated.

Obviously it is not safe to backup only to a computer. Also even with TB internal SSDs eventually I run out of storage space. So how do you organize a workable system encompassing both the picture data, the applications, and the Lightroom system?

Can all of this be stored and executed on external SSD’s? That seems to be what you are suggesting. How expensive is reliable third party internet systems? And is there a possibility of exceeding an internet suppliers bandwidth?

Storage space is of the most concern. I guess trashing pictures I wanted to keep is an option.

This could get very complicated and difficult really fast. Suggestions would be appreciated. I’m talking about a lifetime of work. That is a lot of stuff.

Keeping the pictures on SSD’s, the LR files on SSD’s or Computer?

Howie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

howie&lynn  wrote

Thanks for your reply.   It is appreciated.     

Obviously it is not safe to backup only to a computer.   Also even with TB internal SSDs eventually I run out of storage space.  So how do you organize a workable system encompassing both the picture data, the applications, and the Lightroom system?

Can all of this be stored and executed on external SSD’s?   That seems to be what you are suggesting.  How expensive is reliable third party internet systems?  And is there a possibility of exceeding an internet suppliers bandwidth?

Storage space is of the most concern.  I guess trashing pictures I wanted to keep is an option.

This could get very complicated and difficult really fast.  Suggestions would be appreciated.   I’m talking about a lifetime of work.  That is a lot of stuff.

Keeping the pictures on SSD’s,  the LR files on SSD’s or Computer?

Howie

I'm not really sure what the issue is here. No one is suggesting that you trash pictures that you want to keep.

Your catalog file can go on your fastest disk, usually the internal disk or a SSD, unless you have need for it elsewhere. Your photos can go on as many disks as is necessary to fit them all. There is absolutely zero value in putting photos on a SSD disk, as the speed increase compared to a standard external HD will be so trivial that you will never notice it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines