• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting hand-drawn art onto photos in Photoshop?

Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Macbook Air and Adobe Photoshop CS6. I need to find the best way to combine art (AKA drawings and doodles) and photography. Previously, I have scanned (using a printer with a scanner) a Sharpie drawing and created a vector image by erasing the background, etc. BUT the result was very amateur, and I need MUCH crisper designs for this work. Please give me any suggestions on products that would help, techniques that would be better, or just advice because I am really frustrated with this process that I believe can be much simpler.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Adobe's mobile apps may be helpful to you.

You might want to look at Ai Draw and Ps Sketch.

Adobe mobile, iPhone, iPad, Android apps | Adobe Creative Cloud

A note your current method:

If you have Illustrator, you can bring the scan into Illustrator and use Image Trace to give you a vector trace that you can then take over to Ps.

If you don't, you can crisp out the lines and clean up the background by using the levels panel and using the highlight (white) and shadow (black) eyedroppers to increase th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's mobile apps may be helpful to you.

You might want to look at Ai Draw and Ps Sketch.

Adobe mobile, iPhone, iPad, Android apps | Adobe Creative Cloud

A note your current method:

If you have Illustrator, you can bring the scan into Illustrator and use Image Trace to give you a vector trace that you can then take over to Ps.

If you don't, you can crisp out the lines and clean up the background by using the levels panel and using the highlight (white) and shadow (black) eyedroppers to increase the contrast.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest bringing it into Illustrator, using Image Trace, which will create a vector based image which you can clean up and then going about your usual process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One more thing: simply erasing the background -- the area  around your drawing -- does not convert the the image into a vector version. Although you may take additional steps to make the conversion to a Shape, using Illustrator is a more logical approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines