• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Adobe Photoshop CS3 Activation [CS3 is dead]

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the CS3 servers are decommissioned, but I have a user who would like to install their CS3 application on their machine. I have posted the information below:

(Serial numbers removed. This is a public forum and anyone can copy them) Moderator

I have seen various posts regarding this but need and "Authorization Code" for this user to begin working on his tasks for today. I have already called support and they directed me here. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

It's now 2020.  As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone.  And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers.  Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead.

If you never upgrade your computer or OS, you could potentially keep using CS3 for another 12+ years.  But I'm sorry to say that installation is no longer an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I've looked there and my company is holding off buying anything until it is determined that Adobe will not activate the product as the user doesn't need anything fancy or much at all. The older programs are enough to do what he needs. Thank you though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand.

According to the link, you should be able to sign in and request a new serial number and installer.

It's worth a shot.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to give it a shot. It errored out the first time an hour ago. I'll see if it'll go through this time. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked this time. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do anything different to get it to work other than follow their instructions about installing the non-activation version?

i have tried 3 or 4 times following their instructions, i.e.:

1) get new serial #

2) uninstall old verision

3) install non-active version

When i execute it, it is still asking to activate the old serial number and never request the new one.

Note, I did follow the instructions to also download the installer that it said was needed.  Was that my mistake? Another thread seemed to say they did not load the install and still downloaded the CS3 and they are nor experiencing any issues.  Also note I am running it on a W10 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one idea: right-click on the installer and try "Run as Administrator".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Tried that the second time. 

I did just get off the phone with a tech.  Short answer: "They no longer support CS3. Sorry".

I'm gonna try to start over and uninstall CS3 as well as the installer that they said I needed when I first attempted this. If that still does not work, I am out of ideas, except maybe to look at regedit after an uninstall and see if I can see any remnants that can be deleted. If that does not work, guess I will be looking for another photo editor, but it will NOT be an Adobe product, just because of their support.  Real shame because I have always liked CS3 and would likely like their other products too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clearing out remnants, Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

I've installed the replacement CS3 on my Windows 10 Dell laptop. I never saw an activation screen so I'm puzzled as to why others have it. I did see a Registration screen, but that is not the same thing and can be dismissed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7:

Just FYI since you did not see the issue:

I am getting the exact same screen stating that it can not activate with the servers with the "non-activating" version that I initially received. When I look at the system info under help, it states the old serial 3, which makes sense since I am never asked to enter it.  Anyhow, thanks for your help and suggestions.  If I find anything that helps, I'll let the forum know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7:

There is a cleanup script for CS3...

Adobe - Adobe CS3Clean Script

Should I use that instead of the one for Creative Cloud?

Use Both?

Or just Creative Cloud?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC Cleaner will allow you to uninstall CS3 too.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all who have tried to help.

I could NOT get it working and am out of ideas.   Here is what I last tried:

- Uninstalled CS3 as well as the required installer program

- Rebooted

- Ran regedit to look for any PS3 remnants that may provide old serial #.  None found.

- Ran the Creative Clouds Cleanup routine, selecting the CS3/CS4 option

- Went to the CS3 Activation Help page and received new serial 3 (which is always the same) and downloaded CS3 without using the installer product.

- Extracted and installed CS3.

- Download, extract and install all ran as administrator.

- Install did not ask for a serial #.

- Executed CS3 Photoshop

- Still receiving same Temporary Activation message that I initially received last week, except it now says I only have a day left to re-activate this software.  Choices are:

- Phone Activation

- Re-Activate Later

- Re-Activate

- Selected Re-Activate which fails (assume because activation servers are no longer online), then selected Phone Activation

- Screen displays my old serial # (where does it get it, if everything was cleaned from my computer. It must be coming from Adobe, which makes me believe my CS3 needs to be de-activated by Adobe, but "they do not support CS3 anymore". It also displays an Activation Number and then expects you to type in an authorization code that you receive from calling the phone number that does not work.

SO I think I am stuck at this point.  I think it requires Adobe to change my CS3 activation and apparently they will not do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is having the same issue I had, Master Mo resolved by issue by giving me the following link:

1. Go to Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8

2. Sign in with your Adobe ID (any ID you have should be fine)

3. Enter your CS3 license key when prompted

4. Uninstall your CS3 installation

5. Reinstall CS3 with the .exe file they provide with your desired language

6. Launch CS3 when done

It did not prompt me for a license key when I launched and used it so I'm not sure if you will need to use the license they provide you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We followed the same steps, but unfortunately have different results.  Wish I knew why.

Curious...

When I start CS3 Photoshop I still get the re-activate page. I assume you do not. Could you look under Help/System and see if your old serial number is there or if you have a different version of software.  Here is what mine displays:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 10.0 (10.0x20070321 [20070321.m.1480 16:39:00 cutoff; m branch])

Operating System: Windows NT

Version: 6.2

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:14, Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2592 MHz

Built-in memory: 16238 MB

Free memory: 12536 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 3255 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 55 %

Image cache levels: 6

Serial number: {my old serial 3#

Application folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\KARLP~1.HP-\AppData\Local\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

Startup, 904.8G, 778.3G free

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Plug-Ins\

Additional Plug-ins folder: not set

Installed Plug-ins:

{followed by a list of a bunch of programs.}

Doubt if it will help me any, but just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if the Cleanup Tool is not removing your old serial number. As an experiment try this. In the Windows 10 File Manager go to 'view' and check  the 'Hidden Items' box like below.

view.png

Uninstall CS3 from the Control Panel again and then run the Cleanup tool once more. Restart the PC.

Now navigate to the folder C:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe. It's possible there may also be other regid folders present, but I only have Creative Cloud and Acrobat so cannot test that. If  '\regid.1986-12.com.adobe' is there it will contain some very oddly named files. With Creative Cloud mine is 'regid.1986-12.com.adobe_CreativeCloud-CS6-Win-GM-MUL.swidtag' , but you would be looking for one with CS3 in the title. These are basically XML file and contain the product serial number. Copy these files to the desktop and change the suffix from .swidtag to .txt and open in a text editor like Wordpad.  Towards the bottom of the XML you may find a tag <swid:serial_number> If it contains your old serial then remove the original file from C:\ProgramData\regid.1986-12.com.adobe to a safe location and retry the CS3 installation process. I have no evidence this will work as the serial may also be hidden in an encrypted form somewhere else, but it might be worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri:

Thanks.

I always run with so that I can see hidden files.  I looked and the only regid folder I have under Program Data is for Microsoft.  I did have an Adobe folder under Program Data, but it does not appear to have any association with CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you could try is creating another Windows account with 'Admin' permissions and see if CS3 will install into that with the new serial number. This isn't a solution even if it works as who wants to change accounts to use a single app? but you would at least know it's possible to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri:

I'll try that.  If it does work, it at least may point to something in the users folder.

nathenaelm68873810:

In addition to looking at CS3 Photoshop's help/system info, could you look at the actual photoshop.exe file details (likely under C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\).  Does it say 3/21/2007  Size: 43,764  ???

I am assuming it is the same, because I am thinking my issue is not the download, but either something on my computer or in Adobe's site regarding my registration/activation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you used regedit did you go to the key,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Adobe\Photoshop

that apparently is where the key is stored encrypted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terri:

When I looked at regedit, I did a search for anything with adobe.  Could not find anything associated with CS3.  I am now logged on with a different user account, which happens to be my admin account.  I looked specifically for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Adobe\Photoshop. There is not even an Adobe folder.  There is an Adobe folder under HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE, but no folder under it for Photoshop.  When I go back to my normal user account I'll look again.  I'll also look on this account after installing CS3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completed installing CS3 under a different user account.  Still received exact same re-activation message. 

I looked at the registry. Still no Adobe entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \ but there is a Photoshop entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ ADOBE.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ ADOBE \ Photoshop \ 10.0 \ has 4 keys, none seem to have anything to do with serial #.  They are:

(default)                                    (value not set)

AppWindowMaximized             0

AppWindowPosition                 [2,2,1914,1034]

oldPaletteFontTypeKey CS3    0

So I am clueless on where the install is pulling the serial number from unless it is from Adobe, but even if that were the case, how is Adobe associating the install with my account (unless my machine id), since it never asks for a serial #. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same fact pattern as kporlando with exact results on Win7Pro.  Nothing works.  Please keep this thread active as this is BS.   Software was working fine and just stopped.  Got deadlines and this is a giant problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GOT IT!   When the screen pops up with the old serial number and the green checkmark, go ahead and erase the old numbers and re- enter the new serial number.  Then it worked. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines