Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop resizes masks from illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a question regarding masks copied from Illustrator to Photoshop.

I found the same question in discussion 8775346. This question wasn't answered but I can't

imagine there isn't an answer or workaround.

I'll just give a simple example to describe my issue.

Let's say I have an Illustrator object of 600x600 pixels masked within a mask of 200x200 pixels.

In Illustrator, when I select the mask (with the object within), it shows 200x200 in the Transform panel.

When I copy-paste it to photoshop, photoshop creates a 600x600 document and

pastes the 200x200 object.

When I copy-paste it into an existing 200x200 document, photoshop resizes to fit the 600x600

object into the 200x200 document.

My question is if and how it's possible to paste it to photoshop, fitting the mask

into a 200x200 document.

Thanks!

Plofstront

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As 200px x 200px is not the ai’s Bounding Box you would have to employ a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean the scaling on placing that could be turned off )Photoshop > Preferences > General > Resize Image During Place ).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reaction.

No, I mean a Ai mask which is masking bigger objects. When copied from Ai to PS, I want PS to see the mask as the size instead of seeing the bigger objects as the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check if document size and DPI are the same between Photoshop and Illustrator? Other than that, when is coming masking to Illustrator to Photoshop, you shouldn't use the clipping mask from Illustrator, and do directly in Photoshop. I suggest that you should export your mask shape in Photoshop and then change manually the size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I mean a Ai mask which is masking bigger objects. When copied from Ai to PS, I want PS to see the mask as the size instead of seeing the bigger objects as the size.

That’s a non-starter as the ai’s bounding box includes the content of the Clipping Mask.

You can convert the SO into an SO, that one should then have the Bounds of the non-transparent parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if the content is included then it's not possible..

I'm sorry, what do you mean with converting SO into an SO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about File > Place Linked (crop to bounding box) instead of Copy/Paste?

Besides solving the sizing issue, you can hop over to AI to edit if, necessary and it will update the file in PS.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was mistaken, it’s the Art Box that includes the hidden elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BarbBinder, it does take care of the sizing issue!

It's another way of working and I would need to setup the files a little differently but that's more than doable, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines