• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions 4.5.6 and 4.5.5 - hangs and crashes opening borrowed book

New Here ,
Aug 13, 2017 Aug 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded version 4.5.6, and am seeing the same application crash as I've seen in the past with 4.5.5.

When downloading a borrowed library book, the download never seems to complete. The pop-up window remains on the screen until I kill it by closing the application.

Then, the file/book appears in the Digital Editions application Bookshelf, but attempting to open the book causes the application to hang, until I kill it by closing the application.

I'm on Windows 10 Home.

TOPICS
Download

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2017 Aug 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To solved the issue can try this:
Uninstall Adobe Digital Edition.
Restart the System.
Install Version 3.0: Adobe Digital Editions downloads
Now try to open a eBook of the Library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a same issue.  Installed v3.0, no problem opening the ebook.  Thanks for the tips!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, I had to delete the authority from 4.5 first.  Register again in 3.0 Client.  Removed & re-added the book from the library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so you mean that I should "Erase Authorization" in version 4.5 and then uninstall it, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much teapot88! Your suggestion finally allowed me to open the book.

I do think it is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous though that I had to jump through so many hoops to use this incredibly flawed Adobe program. Windows 10 has been out for an incredibly long time now so there should be a better fix than having to erase my authorization, uninstall the latest version of ADE, go back and install ADE 3.0, and than reauthorize.

Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agreed.  I didn't uninstall the latest version, afraid the some books won't run on v3 so I kept both versions running on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

teapot888's suggestion of deauthorizing the account in ade 4.5, then authorizing in 3.0 worked for me.  shit is ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get 3.0 version ... The URL I found opened a list of ADOBE products and so  ... but could find what I 'm looking for...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nanaky when I click on that link I get a list of Adobe products - but ADE v3.0 isn't there. I 'm using google chrome. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scroll to the end of the site and you should found the right link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just tried uninstalling 4.5.6 and installing 3.0 but that still didn't work for me. I have the same hang and crash problem that the original person posted about in this thread. Anything else I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also used Windows 10?

Try to start software with right click and run as admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I also have Windows 10. I tried right clicking on it and running it as an administrator but that still doesn't work. Thanks for trying to help though!

My problem isn't really hanging and crashing. It more freezes when I try to open a book and then says "not responding." So I have to close the program. Any other thoughts? (I already tried to uninstall/reinstall 4.5.6 as well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this and it finally worked.  Does anyone know if they are working on a Windows patch or Adobe Patch for this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

The reply raises the question, though, of when it will be appropriate to move to the newer version, and how will we know that it's appropriate to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried install / reinstall. Tried 3.0 and 4.5.6. NOTHING!  I get just the header "Adobe Digital Edition" and if I click were "file" and tools are, they will have the drop down menu. I've done all the recommendations and still can't get ADE to work on Windows 10. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get it working ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has worked for me. I've uninstalled. Renamed my library. I get the header for the program then guess where 'File' is and try to do more but I get a blank pop-up window.  Now I can't read online books anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had installed the latest version 4.58 but that stopped working about a week ago. Followed an online tip & added .alt to the My Digital Editions folder (My Digital Editions.alt ) . That worked, but a new folder My Digital Editions is auto added and has to be removed each time I reboot my computer. Is frustrating but a temp fix until something better comes along.

Just a note- the Bluefire reader that I used to use on Windows 10 will not even open; is there a war between Microsoft and Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to do this, but hasn't worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried that and still could not transfer a book onto my Kobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error getting License. License Server Communication Problem:

E_ACT_NOT_READY

When I try to open the book in ADE 3.0 - no win. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new comer in the loop. Because new user. Or rather not yet new user of ADE : as everybody, impossible to get the ID Authorisation. I've reinstalled ADE V4.5.8, suppressed the Adept folder in the registry, reopened ADE, same problem. I work under windows 10. Soon crazy. Any help welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines