• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I add/subtract pixels from selection?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've recently started using PS CC 2017. I use it both at home and at work.

I often want to select pixels in one or more layers. At work I do the following:

• Command click the thumbnail in the layers panel which selects the pixels

• I then Add pixels from other layers to the selection by clicking command /shift on the layer thumbnail which brings up a little plus sign

• Similarly if I click command/option I get a little minus sign and I can subtract pixels from my selection

At work this is all fine. I use it regularly.

However, at home I'm unable to do this and it's driving me mad! I can select the pixels of one layer but when I try to Add pixels I don't get the little plus sign when I click command/shift. It flashes up for a split-second then disappears. Same problem applies for subtracting pixels. I don't get the minus sign, except for a glitchy flash then it disappears.

I spoke to Adobe support but they weren't helpful, telling me this wasn't possible in the new version of PS. However, I know it is because it functions fine at work - I tested literally minutes ago. But it doesn't work at home.

If my description wasn't clear it's explained here by Adobe: Load selections from a layer in Photoshop

Please help!!!!!

Thank you,

Claire

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that it works as you described in the newest version of Photoshop. There are several things you could try.

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts. Make sure that keyboard shortcuts are set to defaults.

If that doesn't work, reset preferences. Preferences in Photoshop

If that doesn't work, use the CC Cleaner tool. Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also reset my shortcuts as I had modified them but that didn't work.

When I spoke to Adobe support they reset my PS pref's but it messed up all my brushes, and PS stopped remembering my custom prefs each time I shut down. I had to customise all over again when I opened PS. I eventually had to ring them back and they put the pref's back. I'm working to a very tight deadline of Aug 28th so I think I'll have to put up with the fault until then. Then I will try resetting prefs and if necessary using the CC Cleaner Tool as you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing you could try is turning on/off the Graphics Processor. You may need to upgrade or downgrade your processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

I tried turning off the processor. It made a slight difference but it hasn't fixed the problem. I now can get the little plus however not every time, it's glitchy and not behaving smoothly or consistently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the layers native to Photoshop or have they been placed into Photoshop?

Could be that the content could be Place Linked, where the linked file is accessible at work but not at home.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mo,

The layers are native to PS. I've created them with PS brushes so they're not placed content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to recreate your problem on my end unsuccessfully.

Do you think you could pop through a short recording of your experience so we can get our heads around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Can you recommend a program I can use to record? I've never done it before!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recorded using Quicktime... just need to figure out how to upload it. Sorry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a recording. Password: Pixelproblem

https://vimeo.com/230043635

In the video I'm first selecting pixels in a layer by command clicking on the layer thumbnail. The black section of whale is selected.

I then attempt to select and add pixels from a different layer by command shift clicking on the layer thumbnail. A plus sign should appear allowing me to do this. However, you can see the plus sign flashing on and off sporadically. When I manage to get it to stay instead of selecting the layer pixels it just highlights the whole layer in the layers palette.

My aim is to have the black part of the whale and the green part of the rubber ring all selected together. This should be easily done using the above commands.

I hope that makes sense. It's very hard to show/explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Just to update I have today uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop and I'm still experiencing the same problem! If anyone can help I"d greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines