• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Improving WebHelp search results

Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2008 Nov 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are interested there was a recent article about altering the way WebHelp presents its search results by tweaking the JavaScript. See http://www.helpscribe.com/2008/10/improving-webhelp-search-results-in.html.

Any thoughts, comments or related ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Dec 14, 2008 Dec 14, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sending me the code Craig, and for updating your blog. I can confirm that it works but I didn't want to publish the code you sent me here as, obviously, it was not mine. But now that you have updated your blog it is there for all to see.

For those of you who are interested see http://www.helpscribe.com/2008/10/improving-webhelp-search-results-in.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to remove the full stop from the end of the link,it breaks it.

Have you tried the method? How well did it work?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested to see how this works. Where do you put the regex? And, is that all that's needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be interested to see how this works. Where in the code do you put the regex? And, is that all that's needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully Greig made it work before posting the link and can advise us. If not post a comment on the blog. It doesn't appear to be the full story but I haven't looked inside the file that needs editing. Maybe that will make it clearer.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I was unable to make it work. I have posted a comment on the blog asking for more details and will update this thread should I get some. My point in posting originally was to bring it to the community's attention and see if anyone else out there had done anything similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The blog owner's agenda seems unclear.

When presented with a query about the specific location of a seemingly simple one-line fix to the stated problem, he answers flippantly that providing the "bit more code involved," would be "bordering on infringement." Which begs the question: what was the purpose of presenting this quasi-solution in the first place?

Hmmm...

See my response to this other post, concerning the third-party Zoom Search product.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that the blog starts with a reference to MadCap, might we guess where the code came from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

LOL, yeah it is pretty easy to glance at only the image of the output that was supplied and see that simple line of code being laughable as being all it took to accomplish what was presented.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings....

Agreed: the article is woefully short of details, except for one regular expression example. It looks to me like a teaser by this gentleman to drum up some business for himself.

What's missing is a 'While' loop, to test for the search word in each link, and to create two new strings from the search results. Of course, knowing exactly where it is that we need to make the modification is pretty important, too.

If someone needed such a script modification, it could be done easily enough; your in-house web developers could do it, or some of the folks on these forums... we could help, but we still have our day jobs, so, as long as they're not in a hurry.... :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2008 Dec 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone. I've updated the post (see Greig's link at top) to include all details so you can just copy and paste.

Nope, I'm not a Madcap evangelist or a consultant trying to drum up business. Just a RoboHelp fan trying to share some knowledge.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum Craig and thank you for expanding your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter!

I've borrowed a few tricks from your website (awesome resource!), so I'm glad to share something in return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Thanks Craig. Before I test and modify the whfhost.js code. Can someone verify this absolutely works??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about just creating a copy of your project and testing it yourself? :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, remember that this is performed on your output files, so if something breaks you can just regenerate and you'll get a fresh whfhost.js.

I tried it (simple copy and paste), and the code works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2008 Dec 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for sending me the code Craig, and for updating your blog. I can confirm that it works but I didn't want to publish the code you sent me here as, obviously, it was not mine. But now that you have updated your blog it is there for all to see.

For those of you who are interested see http://www.helpscribe.com/2008/10/improving-webhelp-search-results-in.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2008 Dec 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Greig! I'm glad to hear it worked for you. Hopefully your users will find it beneficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have about 40 merged projects publishing to RoboHelp Server. Each project of course has its own whfhost.js file. Would I need to copy and paste this code into the whfhost for all 40 projects? or could I just change the whfhost.js in the 'Master' project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only need to make the change in the master project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Hugh, I'd be more than a bit on the skeptical side as to whether Craig's tweak will work for you. I say this because of your mention of RoboHelp Server. Unless I'm mistaken, all the searching functionality is handled server side. Thus tweaking of the scripting would have a zero net effect.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, was wondering if would work for publishing to RH Server. I can log on to the server though and change whfhost.js there. I would think that would work. I'll test it out when I get a chance. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do keep us posted on the outcome!

I always thought the server ignored those JavaScript files and ran some special DLLs or other type of scripting to work its magick. Which is why I'm very curious to see if that tweak will actually work on the server.

Thus if that tweak works for the RoboHelp Server, it would seem to open some interesting possibilities.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2009 Jan 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to see if this works on the server. I have a question, I notice it says WebHelp, does this or can this work with WebHelp Pro? I checked the whthost.js file and I don't see a function displayTopics() command listed. We are using WebHelp Pro as our output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2009 Jan 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greig,

I tried it through Webhelp Pro and through the RH Server. I updated the .js file as descibed and the result outcome is not as descibed. If you link to the project on the server directly the outcome works but the minute you try to go through the RoboEngine all you get is the .pdf's, .doc, and .xls files listed first before the HTM pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp