Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader DC not opening hyperlinks

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We generate PDF files to provide customers with their case results.

These documents contain hyperlinks. However, they do not work with the latest version of Adobe Reader DC for desktop or mobile. I already checked all settings within Adobe Reader DC and still does not work.

It works fine with Adobe Reader XI on desktop.

Do we have to modify the way we generate PDF files so Adobe Reader DC can handle hyperlinks properly on desktop and mobile? Or is it a bug on your end with this version that applies to all PDF documents generated by a non Adobe software product?

I can provide a sample PDF document as well.

Please let me know.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add the hyperlinks with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a server generating PDF documents (about 2,000 per day) to be delivered by email to customers with these links.

What would be the best way to address this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How were the hyperlinks created?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The code is inserted in a Word document, then converted to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a sample file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, where do i send it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat Reader DC use Send & Track and post the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no real links in the document. And the feature "Create links from URLs" doesn't work since the last update of Acrobat Reader DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? Holy crap, each update seems to break something else... Adobe should really step up their QA tests before making these releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really. The latest update of Adobe Acrobat DC has also this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then what is the issue? What do you mean by no "real links"?

With Adobe Reader 11 and previous versions, i am able to click on the URL's shown in the letter i provided earlier.

What do we need to do on our end then for Adobe Reader DC to have clickable URL's in these documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ITXX  wrote

What do we need to do on our end then for Adobe Reader DC to have clickable URL's in these documents?

Read my first reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Real links" are Link objects. What you had were ad-hoc links added by the application (ie, they were not a part of the file) over the plain-text URLs it found in the file. This is not a very reliable thing because it depends on a local user setting, and now it seems to be broken entirely in the latest version of Acrobat/Reader. So you can kill two birds with one stone and switch to generating actual links in your file (if your software has that capability, of course), instead of relying on the application to do it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

I have already reported this matter to Adobe as a bug, and they are now recognizing it.

By the way, I found a way to avoid it.

In case of using Word, there are two methods to create PDF.
method 1: Print to Microsoft Print to PDF
method 2: Save as > File type PDF(*.pdf)
You can create the "true link" PDF by using method 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the suggestions are fine if the folks creating the links are the same ones trying to use them.....In our case, our 3rd party warehouse creates a PDF document with embedded courier tracking hot links so we can check in the office......There are hundreds a day, what we have to do know is cut and paste each link; very time consuming!!

Adobe, please fix this!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are looking into this issue. Will share once we have a resolution.

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank goodness Adobe is aware of the problem, I was mildly panicking here having the same issue all out of sudden. Acrobat seems to still recognize the text as a hyperlink as shown through the yellow overlay appearing and the mouse cursor changing as well, but clicking simply does nothing anymore.

A quick fix would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Acrobat and Reader DC update containing fix for this issue is now available. All existing installations of Acrobat and Reader will automatically be updated with this patch. If you want, you may manually trigger this update by opening the application and visiting Help > Check for Updates.

More details: Acrobat Help | Release notes | Acrobat DC and 2017, Acrobat Reader DC and 2017 | Update

Please let me know in case of any questions.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I installed the update (2017.012.20098) and even rebooted, but the issue with hyperlinks not opening, even though they are being recognized as such, still persists. I can click on them all I want, nothing happens, just as before.

I'm running on an updated version of Windows 10 Home (1703) 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wckmn​

We will get in touch with you directly to look into this further.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone!

As no one has contacted as of yet after all, I'd just like to clarify that manually inserted links via overlays work just fine, it's just the auto-generated links that don't, neither websites nor email addresses. Like I said before, it seems that Acrobat does indeed recognize them and even turns them into clickable links with the mouse cursor changing and the yellow popup appearing with the URL or mailto link inside. It's merely the last step does not seem to work anymore, the clicking followed by the link opening in the OS's standard browser or email client. That's the part that's been broken since the previous version.

Hope that clears things up and here's to hoping that there will be a fix for this as well soon.

Thanks again in advance for all your help and effort!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi wckmn​

We have been actively investigating the reason why you are still seeing the issue. I have sent you a direct message with more details.

Please check and confirm.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing this issue as well, even after upgrading to 17.012.20098. URLs in the PDF are recognized by Acrobat Reader DC. The pointer turns into a hand and a tooltip of the URL appears when hovering over them, but clicking has no response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines