• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile Automatically Adjusting DNG Files?

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm discovering that DNG images taken in Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 9.7 are automatically being adjusted before I start the editing process.  For example, when I open a freshly taken DNG to edit, I'll find that Whites are already adjusted to +15, Blacks are set at -5, and Clarity is at +8.  Sometimes Tint is adjusted as well.

When I sync the images over to my desktop Lightroom (without making any changes to it on my iDevice), I find the same settings there as well.  If I hit Reset or step back in History to Import, everything reverts back to 0.

Is this behavior normal or ?????  It strikes me kind of odd that the app would automatically process a DNG, but I can, of course, work around it...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

During development of DNG Capture support, feedback we got was that the raw images we captured looked surprisingly noisey.  Even though noise is something experienced users may know to expect, especially with the sensor size in iOS devices, the choice was made to apply a profile to make raw images look better.  The goal wasn't to apply a look or certain style to one's images, but rather to get DNGs to look good by default, similar to what is output automatically with JPG capture.  As you saw, a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During development of DNG Capture support, feedback we got was that the raw images we captured looked surprisingly noisey.  Even though noise is something experienced users may know to expect, especially with the sensor size in iOS devices, the choice was made to apply a profile to make raw images look better.  The goal wasn't to apply a look or certain style to one's images, but rather to get DNGs to look good by default, similar to what is output automatically with JPG capture.  As you saw, a DNG image can be reverted to its true original form to make exactly the edits you desire.

We appreciate your feedback and welcome any additional thoughts or questions you may have!

--Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, that makes sense.  Thanks so much for your response...

-Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - is this profile automatically applied to any DNG / raw file synced with LR Mobile? I have found that images imported to LR Desktop that are then synced with LR Mobile will have an adjustment made to them (although I am unsure what adjustments are made).

I know this because I see the following in the history panel of the Develop module:

From LR Mobile

Import [date]

I can confirm that I have made no adjustments to these photos in either LR Mobile or Desktop.

Running LR CC 2015.12 on macOS Sierra 10.12.6

LR Mobile v.2.8.1 F448C7 on iOS 10.3.3

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines