• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Compression - that old chestnut

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the control freak in me means I manually adjust compression for JPGs when saving for web, so I can make the final call on quality vs size.

However my question is does a plugin like TinyPNG for example, have something in its arsenal that PS doesnt?

Any test Ive done via the TinyPNG website service didnt impress me any more than what PS offers so Im not sold on the idea of spending the $50 if it doesnt have any additional algorithms over and above photoshop.

All/any help greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Jpeg uses lossy compression and loose image quality to reduce size you reduce files size by degrading image quality. Png compression is not lossy.  There are ways to optimize image so they will compress better with how Png compression works on images.  What does TinyPNG site claim there plug-in does.  If the Png standard supports one encoding and decoding method how can a plug-in use a different encoding method? I have also seen a SuperPNG Plugin. It may be free.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jpeg uses lossy compression and loose image quality to reduce size you reduce files size by degrading image quality. Png compression is not lossy.  There are ways to optimize image so they will compress better with how Png compression works on images.  What does TinyPNG site claim there plug-in does.  If the Png standard supports one encoding and decoding method how can a plug-in use a different encoding method? I have also seen a SuperPNG Plugin. It may be free.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines