• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse Sequences in WebHelp -- Not Readily Apparent?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a newbie with RH7, I'm looking at using Browse Sequences. I created two named sequences and assigned a few topics to each, but when I generate a WebHelp output the only visible presence seems to be the "back - forward" triangles above the TOC. No listbox showing the named sequences offered. The only clue that the two sequences are working is that the back and forward buttons do move through a particular sequence when I happen to select a topic that's in that sequence from the TOC.

Referring to N. Perlin's article, www.stcsig.org/oi/hyperviews/archive/02Spring/022cmagi.htm, for example, what I see is similar to his Figure 1. Can RH7 generate WebHelp that shows a browse sequence pictogram similar to that shown in his Figure 3? If not, browse sequences appear to be useless to foist upon my users.

Thanks for your comments.
Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, Steve

The figure 3 is showing what a browse sequence looks like when it appears inside Microsoft HTML Help (.CHM format) help systems. What you see is what you get with WebHelp and FlashHelp. It will always appear as the Previous and Next icons in the Navigation Mini Toolbar.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

What you are looking for is unique to Microsoft HTML help (CHMs). With webhelp, regardless of tool, it's a matter of educating your users.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an echo in here? :wnk;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Thanks to you both for quick replies. Hmm, educate users... Peter, I have made good use of your site in the past -- solving the lack of search text highlighting in RH X5, for example. Thanks again!
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"With webhelp, regardless of tool, it's a matter of educating your users."

Slightly pendantic point, I know, but in both Adobe AIR Help (Classic template) and MadCap Flare WebHelp, multiple browse sequences are shown in a TOC-like way with each sequence appearing as a named "book".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2008 Nov 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Paul et al: I downloaded & installed the Adobe AIR package and RoboHelp Packager for Adobe AIR. Found link to the latter in my RH7 Toolbox pod. Tried it on my current project. Wow! As you said, my browse sequences show up TOC-like in the lower left pane using the tab titled "How do I?" There's also a Mini-TOC tab (automatically shows the major headings within the topic on display!) and a Favorites tab. Beautiful!

I'd use this solution in a heartbeat, but for two impediments: (1) must purchase a digital certificate for the single help file (AIR requirement), which would take time through my Federal customer and (2) the user PCs are locked down and AIR ain't on the "approved software" list ... yet (for any of you familiar with NMCI...). <sigh>
Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp