Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe CC 2017 After Effects [Ae][Pr][Me] Issues

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2017 Aug 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been testing Adobe CC 2017 After Effects [Ae], Premiere Pro [Pr] and Media Encoder [Me?] in the following environments:

WIndows 10 EN, Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 EN in native mode witth direct GPU/CUDA access [NVIDIA]

Windows 7 Ultimate DE [guest] virtualized via Oracle VirtualBox 5.1.4 in Debian 9.1 Stretch [host] without GPU/PCI passthrough

Mac OS X El Capitan EN native in a Mac MINI [1.4Ghz 4GB RAM] - unusable

Mac OS X El Capitan EN [guest] virtualized via Oracle VirtualBox 5.1.4 in Debian 9.1 Stretch [host] without GPU/PCI passthrough

Hardware

Quad core i7 4700HQ 64GB 2133 MHz DDR4 SDRAM

NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5 VRAM

Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD drive

Built-in anti-ghosting performance gaming keyboard

Rapoo Ultrasliim Wireless Keyboard E9070 [USB]

Wacom 27QHD Pro Pen input device

ISSUES: Ae

(Ae.01) Ae: Adobe CC 2017 Ae is not 100% reliable - randomly missing frame(s) after nominal completion of an unattended render (PNG sequence) randomly; no error is shown; operator should check every frame by themselves; Pr on PNG sequence import does not indicate missing frames; it could be only noticed by viewing/previewing a final Pr prerender/rendered movie,, where mmissing frame is marked on red background (thanks for that); sequence 00:00:32:02 1 frame missing out of 7166…

(Ae.02) Ae: No official way to render specified frame(s) only and save them with the corresponding sequence numbers with a specified starting number; corrected by manually copying previous frame to a missing one

(Ae.03) Ae: Different timing composition after render depending on the export format - AVI vs PNG sequence, resulting in a loss of synchhronization with sound effects and music [further in `Pr`], subsequently resulting in a LOSS OF 15 HOURS (fifteen hours) of rendering and making it all over again (WTF!?)

(Ae.04) Ae does NOT automatically synchronize the FPS of an imported image sequence with the currently set up video settings (as it does in Pr)

(Ae.05) Ae: Quicktime export has different FPS/length in the exported movie, than in AVI format, with the same settings used;

(Ae.06) Ae Adobe CC 2017 After Effects Ae does not support CUDA for rendering; render time is the same with or without GPU/CUDA; I have tested it with my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB; allowing maximum memory to the Ae does not change a thing; it might only speed up the previews, but not the bottom line render time, so I see no reason for using Ae at all; competition running in native Linux environment uses CUDA more efficiently [i.e. it actually uses it].

More details on CUDA here: Re: Confused as to what graphics card to purchase for After Effects??

(Ae.07) Ae: Direct export/render to the H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC / .mp4) format is no longer available; instead, it is advised [read: forced] to first export to the AVI (40GB for 3m 30s movie) / PNG sequence (20 GB for 3m 30s movie) and then encode it in the Adobe Media Encoder [Me]; since Media Encoder is only available within the Adobe CC subscription, that leads to  believe that this has been made specifically to "convert" Ae users (USD 25/mo) to CC (USD 50/mo), as that obviously increases working time, drastically increases disk usage, and significantly reduces productivity; how would CC subscribers benefit from that is utterly unknown mistery of life which I cannot comprehend;

(Ae.08) `Ae`: CAPS LOCK for disabling previews does not enable it back when released; it happens randomly on random parts of the project; loading other projects, restarting Ae, rebooting Windows does not resolve the issue; more details here: Caps Lock error message

(Ae.09) `Ae`: has hidden functionality to improve [decrease] its render time; to access it, one has to keep "Shift" pressed and then access "Preferences" menu, "Secret" tab appears in the bottom of the list; enabling the items there does improve rendering time; it is difficult to comprehend the reason behind it, othher than these could be "testing" features discovered for over a year and are still being preserved in the "secret" tab;

ISSUES: Pr

(Pr.01) Pr: Importing sequence with a missing frame does not fix itself after the frame being recovered

(Pr.02) Pr: The only way to correct the already imported sequence which has been corrected is to close Pr and create new project from scratch, abandoning already edited compositions with synchronized sounds, music and layers (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

(Pr.03) Pr: Enabling GPU acceleration did not change processing times [same as for the After Affects / Ae]

More details on CUDA here: Re: Confused as to what graphics card to purchase for After Effects??

(Pr.04) Pr: Adobe CC 2017 Pr imports sounds named ".._a,_b,_c" when selected all as ".._b,_c,_a" which makes no sense (have had to manually 1 file at a time, which are in the same directory) - i.e. does not sort imported files neither alphabetically, nor by time/datestamp.

(Pr.05) Same as (Ae.07) - Direct export/render to the H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC / .mp4) format is no longer available; instead, it is advised [read: forced] to first export to the AVI (40GB for 3m 30s movie) / PNG sequence (20 GB for 3m 30s movie) and then encode it in the Adobe Media Encoder [Me]; since Media Encoder is only available within the Adobe CC subscription, that leads to  believe that this has been made specifically to "convert" Ae users (USD 25/mo) to CC (USD 50/mo), as that obviously increases working time, drastically increases disk usage, and significantly reduces productivity; how would CC subscribers benefit from that is utterly unknown mistery of life which I cannot comprehend;

ISSUES CC

(CC.01) Installer could only run from any folder within the disk on which the system has been installed (C:). It would always crash if launched from other drives (D: and/or network/shared drives).

(CC.02) In many cases Ae,Pr trial installers would not start; I have had to download CC installer instead as suggested here

Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app doesn't open or shows a spinning progress wheel

Main issue: no native Linux support; you are welcome to consider or not consider using AppImage | Linux apps that run anywhere to publish your products within the Linux architecture with the minimum effort and being able to launch on any Linux builds / "flavours".

Thanks Adobe Inc. for providing the trial(s) in the unrestricted public access to be tested within Win/Mac boxes.

DISCLAIMER

The above discloses my personal experience while using the Adobe CC 2017 trial.

It is intended as appreciation for allowing to try the Adobe Inc. product(s) and to draw Adobe Inc. developers' attention to the issues.

I am not interested in the outcome of correcting or not correcting the above mentioned bugs/errors/issues, as the CC suite does not provide enough value for the form of delivery at the published prices within provided platforms (Win, Mac).

I am not affiliated with Adobe Inc. and/or any other major/medium/minor software publishing, and/or hardware producing company(ies).

Thank you for paying attention.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a lot going on here, and you specifically said you're not interested in fixing these, so I'm not going to address everything. However, it sounds like there's a lot of missing knowledge on your part about how these programs work, which of course, can lead to frustration and assuming things are broken.

For starters:

(Ae.06), no it doesn't support CUDA in the way you think it does. See my response from the post you linked to.

(Ae.07), Correct, direct export of H.264 was removed from After Effects. This wasn't done by Adobe to get you to purchase a full CC subscription (Plus, if you subscribe to Ae only, I'm sure it comes with AME), it was removed because the old QuickTime H.264 exporter sucked and the MainConcept MP4 codec is better (although it's not the best version out there).

(Pr.01) You're correct, but I thought you can right-click and force reload footage

(Pr.03) This is not true in the slightest, but you also didn't say what you were doing that you thought would change. If you add GPU-accelerated effects to footage and you're using CUDA then render times will be faster and real-time playback will be more achievable.

As for your very last point, this is a user-to-user forum. Adobe employees will be seen here, but it's not an official way to communicate with them or the product teams about your feedback. That's what this form is for: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines